Do you get paranoid walking past a cop?

missbishi

I do! I really don't know why either, I haven't done anything wrong for over 20 years and our cops (I'm in the UK) aren't even armed. Does anyone else feel like this? Or do you feel safe and reassured with a visible police presence?

Muthoni

Like you I also do not know what it is about the police that make my hair stand on end. I do a quick deliberation whether I am carrying my identity card when I see the police. In my region, police can get a lift on a public bus. I quickly wear my seat belt that I had ignored previously. I wonder where this uneasiness comes from.

bala

In a country like india,the sight of a cop on road will only scare someone rather than re-assuring him or making him/her comfortable.It is because of their deeds that they have earned a name like this.Bribes and corruption..GOD..To hell with the indian cops.!!

Rainman

I worked in retail a long time ago. Most of our customers were cops. Previously I didn't like cops that much but the more we did business with them and came to learn that they are just "normal" my fear of cops kind of slowly dissipated.

GlacialDoom

Nope, if anything, I feel a sense of security walking past cops. In my country, they are really laid back and chill, usually, and they don't usually carry guns. Also, most of them aren't corrupt, so it's very different than in the states.

Mackmax

I get a tad bit anxious when a cop is in the same vicinity as me because I start to think that something dangerous has happened or is going to happen, and that is why the cop is there. Its a silly thought, but it happens every time. At least the cop is there! Better safe than sorry.

Rhoda D'Ettore

Police officers only bother criminals. Why would I feel awkward or fearful around them?

We provide them with a certain degree of authority to protect us, then get nervous for what reason? The worst they are going to do is give me a ticket, I certainly have not done anything worth an arrest.

bala

I get a tad bit anxious when a cop is in the same vicinity as me because I start to think that something dangerous has happened or is going to happen, and that is why the cop is there. Its a silly thought, but it happens every time. At least the cop is there! Better safe than sorry.
More often than not,that is the worry for most people in here and you have explained it pretty clearly.
Have you ever shied away from the look of a cop..??

primalclaws1974

I am from a small city, so I get a little apprehensive passing ANYONE on the sidewalk, because it doesn't happen all the time, like in a large city. You just never know what a stranger is capable of. If I was to pass a cop, I wouldn't be any more apprehensive than normal. I do feel a twinge of "are they watching me" when I am driving, even though I have nothing to hide or worry about.

stevesxs9

It's sort of hard for me to answer that question because you want to feel safe when you are around the police. But then you think of an instance where a man is shot to death while in handcuffs or someone is choked to death and that can sometimes give you an uneasy feeling.

Rosyrain

I always feel more comfortable when a police officer is nearby, it is like being protected by someone you don't even know. I sometimes will take a moment and chat with them because their jobs are so difficult. They are paid to constantly be in confrontation and so it makes them feel good to have a pleasant conversation with citizens every once in a while.

Kittyworker

No, not really. I get more paranoid about walking out of stores past security. Dunno why, I've never stolen anything from a store and I know that the buzzers can go off sometimes because the cashier left a tracker on or didn't swipe the magnet properly. Walking past cops has never bothered me because I don't really look suspicious and have no reason to be stopped.

LitoLawless

I do get slightly nervous when I'm walking pass a cop. I think that cops are suspicious of everyone, and that includes me. I feel like they could be thinking anything at anytime. You never really know.

shilpa123

I sometimes do get paranoid while walking past a cop, but I believe it is completely normal to feel that way. I think if the police officers were quite friendly then this would have never happened.

mrsbright

Short answer: no, not really. If they look at me really intently, that might make me feel paranoid. But their mere presence does not really stress me. Like someone else mentioned, it might even be nice. In places where I feel uneasy, like in train stations or in the streets at night, seeing cops makes me feel a bit more secure, like -- these people are paid to help me if I scream and need help.

No, not at all. I do however become nervous when there is police vehicle driving behind me, I tend to try to jeep my speed at the EXACT limit and do a "one Mississippi, two Mississippi,, three Mississippi" at stop signs even where the intersection is clear as well as at red lights where a right turn is permitted.

Josie

I absolutely adore that your cops aren't armed.

I used to yes. When you're young, they just assume you're up to no good. We got pulled over a lot and questioned randomly when we were out late. We were always worried they would one day just accuse us something. Small city, cops had nothing better to do I guess.

Shimus

I know most of the cops around here because of good circumstances so I'd probably stop and just talk to them. In other cities where I don't know anyone, I'd still be friendly and outgoing even if I was paranoid inside. Everyone responds better to a smile and a natural body language then an uptight douchebag. Be they cops or normal civilians.

But in just passing I never really feel paranoid at anyone. It's not like they can read minds and know if you're up to no good. Just play it cool all the time. Plus, I like the people who protect us. There's nobody else out there patrolling day in and day out so they deserve their own admirers.

Diane Lane

I like most cops, but I hate having a police car following behind me. I know I'm not doing anything wrong, but it just makes me paranoid. It happened the other day. I was driving the speed limit, and I'm sure he was wishing I'd speed up, because it's a slow area, but I'd have been o.k. with him just passing me, even though his lights and siren weren't on, and it was a no passing zone.

Nate

Not anymore. In my younger days I would, but that was usually because I was smoking pot most of the time and was very paranoid around them. There is nothing worse than cruising around with a smooth pot buzz ,listening to music, and then a cop pulls up behind you. Of course now that I don't do drugs, or even drink anymore, I don't even flinch when I pass a cop.