Do you get paranoid writing on forums?

Onionman

A lot of people offer up a lot of information about themselves on forums. Most people that you interact with you'll probably never ever meet. But there may be a few that you do, or you actually know.

So are you ever worried about opening up too much on forums?

Patrick

I think so long as you don't give away too much of your personal information, or post anything overly sensitive/inflammatory, everyone is happy to engage in discussion. Also I doubt most people on forums are really interested in your real life details.

Let's just chill and keep it civil :)

Nate5

Yeah, I tend to be wary. I don't ever give out my personal information in public forums though, and it won't really serve you anyway as I am a poor college student with no money. I'm not sure what you would want from me. I try to be civil as well, and if I met you in public I would definitely buy you a drink if you're a nice guy/gal :)

Gelsemium

I have no such concerns really, I just speak my mind and tell what I am feeling, I am not that important to have stalkers haha. :)

jeremy2

A lot of people offer up a lot of information about themselves on forums. Most people that you interact with you'll probably never ever meet. But there may be a few that you do, or you actually know.

I feel so much at home when posting on forums and there's usually no holding back when am hitting the keyboard.To me,it's a great way to express yourself and share your thoughts and ideas with other members.

pattycake

I often share stories about events that occurred in my life. Is that what you mean? Well, I don't have a problem with it because sharing experiences you had in a forum is no different from writing a book about it. What's the big deal?

Onionman

I often share stories about events that occurred in my life. Is that what you mean? Well, I don't have a problem with it because sharing experiences you had in a forum is no different from writing a book about it. What's the big deal?

It's partly about how much you share in terms of stories. It's more about being vulnerable to crazies wanting to stalk you or criminals wanting more information about you. I just notice that a lot of people seem to offer up a little of information about themselves.

ally79

I really don't think about exposing myself on forums too much. I mean, being able to open up, pretty much anonymously is kind of the point to me. I don't plan on posting my address or pictures of my kids or anything, bit I think for the most part you are safe in forums.

primalclaws1974

I give out a lot of information, but it is most of the time general stuff, like population of my town, what state I am in, and my family size. If someone wants to sift through endless possibilities to track me, might I suggest simply tracing my IP address? It will be quicker. I am not too worried about giving out information though. I don't really have anything to hide.

GlacialDoom

I think about this from time to time, especially because I use a universal name handle, so a lot of information could be collected about me from the Internet. I still write stuff from time to time because who cares about privacy, right?

Rob93FL

Not at all. I'm an open book, but I'm not stupid about it. I don't post my address, phone number, or anything else that people could use against me on forums.

pattycake

I have my experiences with trollers, but I don't think that the stories I share is what triggers them off. It's basically speaking truth that triggers them off, so they come after me whether I share a personal story or not. I don't see any danger in sharing personal experiences you had, but just keep your personal information out of it. No addresses, phone numbers, card numbers, etc. And you'll be fine. Trolling is the most that can happen to you.

Muthoni

I make sure that the information that I give on forums is true so that if it is ever used against me I can defend myself. I would not share very personal information on forums because we do not know each other very well. The only rule when posting on forums is to ensure that you only post information that you want everyone to read.

Onionman

I guess it's about balance. Being able to speak freely on forums about a wide range of issues without giving your whole life story. Admittedly, there are plenty of more effective ways that someone wanting to know more about you can gain lots of information. But if someone is really determined, you'll never know where they choose to source information.

hayrake

Paranoid? No. I can't say that I do and I'm not really sure where you're coming from with your question. Do you mean that you fear someone hacking your account, stealing your identity or stuff like that? Or is it more that you fear relating your thoughts and feelings in a very public way even if you are doing it in your own home?

oraclemay

I don't give personal information and never place photos online. I don't think that this is being paranoid, but it is being cautious which is a wise thing.

Sweetheart

No what for? I guess if you give out your address or bank account info. This is probably safer than Facebook.

Gelsemium

It even took me a long time to make all my pictures to friend only on FB, so far I've been doing fine acting like this, I guess I have no enemies. :)

Determined2014

Well, do especially when I think of security issues, especially when blogging regarding certain topics like Al shabaab,i do get paranoid .blogged about

Kamarsun1

I worry about opening up to much in general, it's a lot of crazy people out there and you don't know who to trust. Especially with meet up groups. I post very little about my personal life, personal information is private and should stay that way.