Do you get promoted if you give out tickets?

I had heard this and wasn't sure how accurate it is. Is it true that you get promoted if you give out more tickets? To me, this is silly. A police officer should want to do all they can to keep their community safe. If they already have a safe area, it sounds silly that they would want to hope their community goes downhill just so they can give out tickets to get promoted.

Profit5500

That sounds so ridiculous it may be true. I would not want to be a officer if I am going to give out tickets for a promotion. Then again a officer was arrested for giving out citations to people who were black.

milyjohnson

I haven't heard of this. It would be sad if people give out tickets only to get a promotion. If that's true, there will be more cops giving out tickets just to get a promotion.

januz101

Thats not true. Where did you hear that anyway? Promotion is normally given out if you have done something heroic and you get a recognition for it. Or if you have served a prescribed number of years in the service then you are eligible for promotion.

Profit5500

Thats not true. Where did you hear that anyway? Promotion is normally given out if you have done something heroic and you get a recognition for it. Or if you have served a prescribed number of years in the service then you are eligible for promotion.
I do not know where the whole give out most tickets to get a promotion came from too. I was just more under the impression that you worked hard and then got promoted for your heroism.

JoshPosh

Banned
I think the proper term to use is QUOTA. Back in my home town of less then 5000 people, we had rookie cops that came in and out of the place every couple of years, and all of them were all more then happy to hand out tickets. I was told that they had a quota to show that they are doing their job, or something to that effect.

Profit5500

I think the proper term to use is QUOTA. Back in my home town of less then 5000 people, we had rookie cops that came in and out of the place every couple of years, and all of them were all more then happy to hand out tickets. I was told that they had a quota to show that they are doing their job, or something to that effect.
Makes me feel sorry for them if they feel that they gotta do that. I mean if the people are constantly breaking the law then it is time for those individuals need a lesson in realizing that there are consequences for breaking the law.

sillylucy

I don't think that you get a promotion for writing tickets. If that was the case then more officers would give our more tickets. I know that some have to fill a quota, but I don't think that a promotion is involved.

Gelsemium

I don't think that giving more tickets will get you promoted, on the other a job well done most likely will.

Profit5500

I don't think that you get a promotion for writing tickets. If that was the case then more officers would give our more tickets. I know that some have to fill a quota, but I don't think that a promotion is involved.
Writing tickets is not going to get you promoted. Instead it would get you another angry subject but you have to show them that they cannot break the law and get away with it.

LongShot

While I don't think it will get you promoted. I do think it is encourage by the police departments to gather more funds. I remember reading up that now police can take your belongings and you have to prove that your belonging are innocent! The simple fact is that the police is now becoming more of a industry for some. Where they don't really protect the people as much as they protect themselves.

Profit5500

While I don't think it will get you promoted. I do think it is encourage by the police departments to gather more funds. I remember reading up that now police can take your belongings and you have to prove that your belonging are innocent! The simple fact is that the police is now becoming more of a industry for some. Where they don't really protect the people as much as they protect themselves.
How can you have your belongings taken from the authorities? That does not make much sense police would take relevant things from a crime scene. To take your belongings from you and make you prove that you own them is far-fetch.

Gelsemium

Yeah, I think it's a part of the job and in that sense yes, if we do our job correctly we just might get promoted.

Profit5500

Yeah, I think it's a part of the job and in that sense yes, if we do our job correctly we just might get promoted.
Some officers chose to forget that is the important thing that must be done. I tend to see that if I do not do anything suspicious then I should not be in trouble. If you are the officer then you got to see that getting a promotion is going to take hard work its what you signed up for.

Gelsemium

In a way I don't mind that they neglect that part of the job haha, sometimes I might be speeding and a ticket is something I hate.

pattycake

That sounds more accurate. It's probably about showing that you're on the ball and doing your job. Giving out tickets is like an incentive to remain employed as a cop.

Gelsemium

Yep, I don't know exactly how those quotas work, but either cases I feel that more parking places should exist or else cars should stop to be sold. :)

Profit5500

Yep, I don't know exactly how those quotas work, but either cases I feel that more parking places should exist or else cars should stop to be sold. :)

From what I know the quota is like the amount of tickets the department I think is trying to collect since the money I think goes to the government. If the police officer writes a certain amount of tickets that year then I think the department gets a percentage. I do not know the quota so I am not the one to ask lol.

Gelsemium

I see, so he just can't pass too many tickets because he gets over quota, seems ok by me or else they would do nothing else all day.

primalclaws1974

I have never heard that giving out tickets alone would get a policeperson promoted. I would think that bravery and saving lives would be what got them promoted. Dedication to the job and years put in would probably also be a key factor.