Do you think we could see the use of body cameras in our modern day police force?

haitch

With recent events such as the Ferguson shooting and other police aggression do you think we could see an increase in the amount of body cameras used to continuously watch police action? I feel it would prevent police acting out of order and it would also be able to take videos that could be used in court.

Kamarsun1

I think this should be mandatory. Things would be different with the use of body cameras, at least it seems that way. Cameras still may not catch it all.

bala

The body cameras need to start rolling immediately when any officer even begins to talk to, or confront, anyone.Its surely not gonna go useless right..?
Recently they had a plan to get body cameras rolling after a taser is used,but if it doesn't activate until the Taser is engaged, what will it catch on video, the guy twitching and falling over?.Is that all we want..?

Rainman

Body cams most certainly would help reduce incidents of police using excessive force or just doing stuff which they know they shouldn't be doing. But would it be a game changer? I doubt it. Police departments may refuse to release body cam footage if the actions of a police officer give the entire police department a bad name.

bala

Body cams most certainly would help reduce incidents of police using excessive force or just doing stuff which they know they shouldn't be doing. But would it be a game changer? I doubt it. Police departments may refuse to release body cam footage if the actions of a police officer give the entire police department a bad name.
No,once they have evidence,they are not supposed to withhold it by law.if they do,they will have to bear the dire consequences.
I doubt if they will,but yeah still a valid point.

shilpa123

I think that is one of the wonderful idea and is totally cool. I believe a lot of people would be benefitted of such rules are made. It can be quite helpful in every way.

tanker

It is already happening in some places, in London pretty much the entire downtown is covered with cameras, and no one can go there without being seen. As cameras get cheaper and smaller, eventually everything will be covered with a camera, it is just a matter of time. The amount of cameras bring up privacy issues, but there is not much that can be done, you can not stop technology.

Gelsemium

That is exactly what I was about to say, that is already happening in some places and I do agree with it, nothing like a camera as our witness, that is the best.