Do You Trust Your Local Law Enforcement?

PrideKidd

Hello everyone, thought I would take a second to gauge peoples reactions to the above question "Do you trust your local law enforcement" I know that some of us have a hard time with polite law enforcement, but on a whole do you trust them? Please explain. :)

KenBrace

Banned
The local police in my area seem to been doing a nice job. There haven't been any cases of abuse, etc. Just good old fashioned law enforcement.

Shimus

I'm not a fan. They seem ridiculous half the time; saying they can't assist you because it's a civil matter and then enforcing the law on a different instance of the same situation. They also must be entirely too bored, I see them hanging out next to each other talking all the time. Town is small enough, I guess. But it just seems like they could be patrolling somewhere and doing some good. As long as the police are visible it's a natural deterrent for bad behavior.

pandabear1991

It really differs from officer to officer. I have personally seen officers trying to pull "ignorance" on people who seem too poor for an attorney, or youngsters that they think they can "pull one over on." But honestly, why would local news allow for their law enforcement to be slandered our doubted due to bad employment? Just saying. Not to mention the media is controlled so their is not a real way for citizens to know when officers do wrong, unless the offense was majorly public and people were not afraid to speak up.

JoanMcWench

I live in a big city & I have met my fair share of police officers who could care less. Every once in a while you get to meet a few that do care &, for me, that outweighs the jags who abuse their power. So, I wouldn't say I trust them inherently but I know it's a tough job & there are still good people doing said job.

shilpa123

I do trust the local law enforcement. I believe they are fantastic. I think they are great and very Cooperative.

Gabe

You have to have trust in the local law enforcement, but accept there are good eggs and bad eggs everywhere. It's not a perfect system, but there are measures where you can complain or get redress if you have a justifiable claim. There are there to serve and if they don't then you have a right to get them replaced, rather than complain you can do something about it.

Gelsemium

I do trust the police in my area, I mean, I would like them to be more friendly, but I trust that they are serious and that they will do what it takes to maintain the law and order.

jeremy2

I don't trust most of our law enforcement agencies. Corruption is rife in the force and justice can easily be bought. Woe unto you if you find yourself on the wrong side of the law and you don't have the money to buy yourself out, you will have it rough. But once in a while you encounter a professional cop who is morally upright and you are impressed by how he goes about his duties.

Whitewolf2578

Well I used to live in California and the area I was in you couldn't really trust them to do there job at the right moment. However, I have moved out to Montana and these guys are awesome. Specially the Highway Patrol, if someone goes like a mile over the speed limit they will bust you, it is pretty nice. I don't know, just seems like they have it more together out here. I guess it's more like the wild wild west.

JohnBrock

I live in Denmark and I trust my local law enforcement fully on an individual plane, they are quick, and responsive and professional. What I don't trust is the structure at the police-stations, lately the police has been stressed and the response rate has (again, according to the media where I live) been lowered significantly as the officers can't respond to every distress, but as far as professionally goes, when they do respond, they are professional, and witty. Which means they engage the people on a friendly basis and avoid potential confrontation.

stevesxs9

Most of the local law enforcement are alright. I've never had any complaints so far. It's just that small percentage of those who become corrupt and break the laws they are sworn to uphold, that causes the problems.

OMGnoWAY

The cops in the nice areas of my town are wonderful. The cops in the rougher areas are much more shoot-first-ask-questions-later and I trust them much less. I've read too many stories of people reaching for their wallet when they get pulled over and next thing you know, they're being kicked on the ground and arrested for "resisting arrest". Resisting arrest for what? How can you ONLY get charged for "resisting arrest"?

Profit5500

I'm not a fan. They seem ridiculous half the time; saying they can't assist you because it's a civil matter and then enforcing the law on a different instance of the same situation. They also must be entirely too bored, I see them hanging out next to each other talking all the time. Town is small enough, I guess. But it just seems like they could be patrolling somewhere and doing some good. As long as the police are visible it's a natural deterrent for bad behavior.
I see some those issues where I live. The thing I hate is that they would just park their cars on the red curb and look at you like you are crazy. The funny part is that they would be quick to pull you over for a minor traffic violation and act like cocky jerk over it.

Shimus

Trust and Toleration are two different concepts and issues entirely though. I can Tolerate them very well; they put their lives on the line nightly never knowing what they're going to get into for the day. You have to respect that, after a bit. I just don't trust them because I've seen some of them pull shady moves and most of these small town cops are big-badass-wannabe Hollywood types. It gets old fast. I'd like to see a couple cops who still legit care around here, and maybe I'd trust them.

primalclaws1974

Hello everyone, thought I would take a second to gauge peoples reactions to the above question "Do you trust your local law enforcement" I know that some of us have a hard time with polite law enforcement, but on a whole do you trust them? Please explain. :)

Good question. When I was a teenager and young adult I did not trust police. This wasn't because they were corrupt, but because I was always in trouble with them. That was my fault, not their's. They were only doing their jobs. Today I am 41, and have not even got a ticket since 2007. I don't know many officers that are on the force now (which is a good thing, I suppose), but if I needed help I would not hesitate to call them.

Rainman

I have no reason why I shouldn't trust the cops here. It's a small town, most of the residents are elderly folks who'd prefer to avoid crime so the police tend to have an easy time. So yeah, they do a good job and I'm pretty sure that I can trust a few of them.

Shimus

There's going to be bad eggs everywhere you go though, so it shouldn't just be limited to cops. I don't trust a lot of people around here; it's not trust issues though. They earned the right to be hated through different encounters and events and this an informed decision, not just me saying I hate it. I'm neutral in most situations or I try to be. But you can't let this make you hate your local law enforcement. If you answered yes to any of these if you hated or trust them, then maybe you should go try to meet some more and form some relationships that can help you get over not trusting them.

I know a couple of them here I like. I'm starting to shift my view bit by bits, but it's hard when it's been wired into your brain.

Lizel

I don't trust the police in Poland, those guys are really unfriendly and the things they would want to be doing everyday is drinking coffee in their offices.

missbishi

The poilce in my area are generally OK, the deprtment is financially stretched and there aren't enough officers so they seem to be doing an OK job under the circumstances. There's often a long wait if you've called them out though.