Do you understand?

thegrey1

Do you guys understand that when you pull us over and we are not doing anything wrong,our palms still get sweaty and we drop things and act bats*** crazy, because we are just nervous in the presence of authority? We have a license, proof of insurance,etc., but we're still paranoid in the presence of the police! I'm not sure why, but for some of us, it's a fact of life. Do you understand that?

Shimus

I imagine most cops do. I feel they all know that their authority can make people edgy a bit, and most don't push it when they see someone fumbling about because we don't have to deal with cops on a normal everyday basis. However, I feel some DON'T recognize this and then wrongly accuse the other of something they didn't do because they were outside "their comfort zone" so to speak.

Some people, even people doing no wrong, can end up on the wrong end of misinterpretations.

JoanMcWench

lol It sounds like I would love to see a video of you being pulled over! I've always been polite & considerate to the cop even when they're ticketing me & I disagree with what the ticket is for. I know there's no way out of it unless they decide not to give it to me even if I was doing nothing to warrant the ticket/'discussion'.

thegrey1

Well the thing is, I've never been given a ticket, but I've been pulled over several times. I've only ever had warnings. I am always polite and cooperative, but I'm still a nervous wreck! I'm not like that in ANY other situation ,at work ,etc.

Rainman

I believe that most police officers know their presence is intimidating. In fact a number of them expect you to act all nervous when they approach. Even if you aren't then you are expected to act submissive nonetheless. So yeah, I guess cops do understand that many people get nervous around them.

Nate

They know they are intimidating. They also know they have a lot of power while standing out your window. Noone wants to pay a huge fine, so a lot of people go in a sort of freak out mode, even if they didn't do much wrong. I have learned to just relax, and just be yourself. Pretty lame advice, but freaking out will just freak the cop out. I speak from experience.

dyanmarie25

I think they know that, but I guess they don't really care, or probably they just like seeing you go nervous.