Dog Shot By Officer

JoanMcWench

I know we are seeing a lot of these police officer videos thanks to the body cameras but this one really cheesed me off. He jumps the fence & goes onto property that he clearly should not have & ends up shooting a dog protecting their property. Frustrating.
[video=youtube;yrXC7smnGLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrXC7smnGLI[/video]
A Dade City dog owner is furious after a Pasco County deputy opened fire on her dog, killing it, while responding to a burglar alarm call.

The incident happened at a home on Bellamy Brother Boulevard where a silent alarm had been triggered Friday. The shooting was recorded by the deputy's body camera.

The deputy arrived and, in order to get onto the property, hopped over a gate that had several warning signs about the owner's dogs.

Homeowner Carla Gloger says if the deputy would opened the gate and drove down the long driveway to the house instead of hopping the fence and walking, the situation might have been prevented. The deputy, though, said the gate was locked.

The walk down the driveway

The body camera rolled as he walked down the driveway and approached the house. That's when two Rottweilers, estimated to be more than 70 pounds each, ran toward him. The deputy can be seen drawing his gun and shooting one of the animals.

lushlala

Wow, this is just horrible! i'm not sure what to say, I'm stunned!! The police officer seems to be rather flippant about this too, which is the worrying thing. Did he not see the warning signs about the dogs, and could he not have got hold of the property owner by phone to open the gate?! Could he not have stayed in his car, because surely the dogs barking would have alerted the owner of someone being there?

Josie

How arrogant and ridiculous are these people. The rest of us do just fine to avoid being bitten by dogs, but they just rely on their weapons at the first sign of aggression.. from an animal protecting it's home! It's not like they're even off their properties half the time. I didn't watch the video, I don't like seeing these things, but I'm honestly so tired of hearing these stories. So much power hungry, above the law-ness going on (lol I know, it's not a word, work with me here)

missbishi

Of course, there is unlikely to be any follow up of this incident. Even though it seems as if this situation could have been easily avoided, the deputy is no doubt using the excuse that he wanted to get to the house as quickly as possible. He'll most likely get away without so much as a slap on the wrist.

JoanMcWench

It was especially sad when he said 'So, you're saying you want me to kill your dog'. That really pissed me off. I would have taken an assaulting an officer charge & smacked the sweat off his face. Poor puppy.

RingoBerry

Was there even really a break in? And usually the owner of the house is contacted by an operator to ask if they are aware that their alarm was triggered and that an officer is on the way. That cop was really off. If there was indeed a thief in the house, those dogs would already be making a huge ruckus that could be heard from a few meters away outside the house specially if the owner had guard dogs like that.

Philosophydaddy

I think the officer needs to turn in his badge. Then again I am very against people mistreating animals. He disregarded a warning about the dogs and instead of understanding and respecting their "territory" when he saw them approach, the pulled his firearm and killed one of them. He could have done a million things differently but now there is a dog owner who must bury their companion and part of their family because of his negligence and stupidity. I have no sympathy for people who disregard the lives of animals and pets as important to the people who cherish them.

mairj23

I'm not a big fan of the police these days but this shooting was justified. He was responding to a burglary and the dog was threatening to bite. He did the right thing. Most dogs can really injure or kill someone if they get around the neck.