Driving license?

Clairelouise84

This might sound like a stupid question, but do you need to hold a driving license in order to become a police officer? I am not sure of the rules anywhere in the world because some people say you do, some say you don't. I would just like a little clarification from anywhere!

katherine25

That's actually a good question. I would assume you would only need a license if your going to be out in the cruiser. Since not all officers are out on the road, there are so many different positions within the station but I'm only assuming I have no idea.

Diane Lane

I think perhaps not if you were going to be a dispatcher, and stationed within the office all the time. However, I think it could hinder you, to not have one. Is there a particular reason (assuming you're asking for yourself) that you don't have a license? If the reason is a fear of driving, that is a phobia, and can be addressed through therapy. Having a license can expand the number of fields available for employment, open up new places to live, and empower a person.

Gabe

I don't think it's required for all jobs, because there are admin jobs or jobs that are suitable for those who are not trained in the field. Besides that there is the age issue as most have to be over a certain age to be insured to drive certain vehicles. I think some have to take certain driving tests as well and they have to be over 25 too.

Clairelouise84

That's actually a good question. I would assume you would only need a license if your going to be out in the cruiser. Since not all officers are out on the road, there are so many different positions within the station but I'm only assuming I have no idea.
That would make sense, I genuinely thought that in the UK you needed a full and valid license as when I applied to become an officer that it what was on my form but apparently the laws have changes since the, it was a while ago mind you!

Clairelouise84

It is not a fear thing, when I was growing up I lived in a really small town in Oxford and there was virtually no point in driving, I then moved to the city where it would have been quicker to hop to work than drive.I am starting lessons this year though.

Clairelouise84

I don't think it's required for all jobs, because there are admin jobs or jobs that are suitable for those who are not trained in the field. Besides that there is the age issue as most have to be over a certain age to be insured to drive certain vehicles. I think some have to take certain driving tests as well and they have to be over 25 too.
Ahh I see, I did not think of the insurance thing to be honest, that makes a lot of sense.

Gabe

I used to work on recruitment fairs for the Metropolitan Police and the question does not prevent you from applying. It may help, but you need a clean record and no criminal record or even cautions. Only if they were incidents when you are a juvenile don't count, but everyone think else does, even if you are arrested for a protest. That's why protests aren't a good idea if you want to join the police or any profession like a legal one as it could count against you.