Drug Problems

Rosyrain

It seems as though major cities and even small towns are plagued with drugs these days. There is almost always increased crime when the two collide. How do officers deal with the increased crime and drug use?

JoanMcWench

Narcotics officers really deal with that issue. Occasionally SWAT when there is a raid on a 'drug den'. The reality is police have to make relationships with people in the community in order to be fully aware of what's going on when they're not around. That's the best preventative measure.

Rainman

It seems as though major cities and even small towns are plagued with drugs these days. There is almost always increased crime when the two collide. How do officers deal with the increased crime and drug use?

There's only one way to respond — work harder.

But I think police departments in various places benefit from drugs indirectly since they get to keep the money they seize when they arrest drug dealers. So IMO, police don't do as much as they should to stop drug trafficking because they get to keep part of the "spoils."

Gelsemium

Drugs are a plague and I feel that no one more than the police (and relatives of drug addicts of course) feel that. Drugs lead to crime, so a hard hand on drugs is necessary, so nothing like hard work I agree, but it's not easy.

missbishi

The only thing they can really do is increase their presence. Drug use and crime is a product of societal problems and policing certainly cannot provide a solution to this problem. All the police can do is detect and apprehend offenders. Things won't improve until measures are taken to combat the issues in society which cause people to abuse drugs.

OMGnoWAY

I think it's unfair to blame an increase in addicts on the police departments. Drug abuse is first and foremost a social problem. People either don't think drugs are a big deal, or they just see $$$ when they look at them. We need better drug education and more legitimate job opportunities in these communities and the number of drug users will fall.

Increasing the number of arrests and putting people in prison for a medical problem are not the solution.

JoanMcWench

I agree entirely with that one. It IS much more of a social problem. However, when society doesn't fill in the gap it's up to the police to fight the crime that is the result of drug addiction. It's incredibly unfair to the police but it is a fact of life.

Rosyrain

It seems as though everyone wants to fight against drug use, but there is not much we can do, or know how to do to combat it completely. Sure we all do what we can, and it helps keep drug use down, but there can always be more that we can do.

Profit5500

By now it is not surprising that most places are filled with drugs. You can try to going away from it, but every place you go to has some sort of drug issue.

goldenmaine

I agree with this. Drugs are very accessible nowadays, and because of increased population and the rise of pushers its movement cannot be monitored constantly. Here in our area, most criminals are drug users and they always reason drugs as the reason to why they commit the crime so these two always go together and are very dangerous. They have already increased the police force staff and implemented curfews here. It is effective but there are still some crime and drug activity going on, but I am thankful that it has already lessened.