Elementary school in Montgomery County, Pa. cancels Halloween

kwalsh477

Principal at Inglewood Elementary School made the decision not to hold Halloween parades or celebrations at the school this year. This is part of the letter sent from the school's principal, Orlando Taylor
"Some holidays observed in the community that are considered by many to be secular (ex. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's Day) are viewed by others as having religious overtones. The district must always be mindful of the sensitivity of all the members of the community with regard to holidays and celebrations of a religious, cultural or secular nature. The United States Supreme Court has ruled that school districts may not endorse, prefer, favor, promote or advance any religious beliefs...."

JayeeDolo

It does seem a little extreme. They are just kids. At the age, they don't care about "religious overtones", they just want the candy! But at the same time, I guess it makes sense. If we aren't allowed to pray in school because it might offend then I guess in some cases, celebrating Halloween is in the same boat.

wulfman

i had no idea halloween had any sort of religious affiliation. lol. kids just want to dress up and get candy. leave it alone.

wulfman

i used to love halloween. heck id put on a costume that covers my face and go get some candy on this october !

Aleyah

I think that the principal shouldn't have the right to determine whether the students that attend the school can celebrate Halloween or not. First of all, I don't think that a principal should even have that much authority over anything other than the education of the student community and maintaining order within the halls of the establishment. The Parents or caregivers to each child have the right to deny their child/children of participation in Halloween events. Especially for any religious reasons.

I don't think that is ok at all. Especially for a holiday like Halloween... That's like the greatest thing as a kid and you are taking away one of the most precious days of their childhood? Come on now...

rgrimes

I thought halloween was just a not serious holiday where people just had fun and played games, and ate candy? the principal is basically taking away one of the most cherished holidays by kids in the whole year, that is not okay in my book.

Muthoni

I guess a school has the authority to determine the kind of exposure the kids who go to the school receive. If a parent is not happy with the rules and the regulations of the establishment, then they should move their child to a suitable school.

helaofthenorns

They are just children for Pete's sake! They are too young to be immersed in the complicated world of religion. Why does religion have to ruin everything anyway? If people would just keep their relationship with the Lord personal, religion wouldn't exist. Just saying.

bala

Ha ha..doe he have kids..? I know what he would have done when he was a kid.Such a crazy guy.He is taking authority over unnecessary plots.I am damn sure,the kids will be loathing on him.
Also what religious affiliation does it hold.Can anyone brief me more..?

dostava

Although the school gave a very dodgy reason to cancel the parade, It's likely understandable. That's what you get when everyone is always trying to sue everyone else for a bunch of made-up offenses such as incriminating with religious holidays. I think all of this would solve itself if lawyers weren't involved so often and there would't be any need to cancel school events.

Josie

As much as it sucks, because we all grew up with it.. you have to see it from their perspective. These things do favour one group over all (although, I've never seen Halloween as anything but a fun day for ALL, but I don't know it's background). The one thing I can't stand this day in age, is that a certain group of people is STILL favoured above all and since the numbers are still relatively massive, and because many of us celebrate these holidays, religious or not, it feels like it's unfair and unnecessary. But if you were in any other group, you would understand what it's like. It drives me bonkers when "certain groups" (lol, I won't name names!) are treated differently and given days and exemptions and pretty much everything revolving around them and everyone is expected to live by their rules.. but that's the world many of us live in and of course, the majority will continuously go on about how everything is being taken from them and fingers are pointed at everyone else and blah blah blah. fact is, nobody is taking anything from our kids. If they don't get to enjoy halloween or christmas or easter or whatever whatever.. that's on the parents, not on the school. School should not be the only place these things are celebrated.. and now they're hardly celebrated at all. As I said, it sucks for those of us who grew up with it, but it IS fair, whether you like it or not.

dyanmarie25

I think this is just too extreme. When I was a kid, I have always looked forward to the Halloween. There were a lot of fun things/activities to do such as dressing up for the occasion and going house to house and do Trick or Treat. I've never thought about its religious undertones, affiliations, or something like that.

JoanMcWench

Holy smokes, Batman! This thread is almost a year & half old! Necroing alert!
NecroBumpBatman.jpg