Escaped Python Kills 2 Boys

Anthony

Super Moderator
Authorities are looking into the deaths of two young boys killed by a python. Police said they originally thought the python escaped through the ventilation shafts from upstairs apartment where the store owner lives. However after investigating the officers told reporters that the snake was a house pet, kept inside the apartment where the two boys were visiting friends, authorities said.
"It was upstairs," Royal Mounted Police Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Tuesday at a news conference Tuesday evening. "It never got out of the store."
The snake owner Jean-Claude Savoie had the two boys over the house for a sleepover with his own son.
Savoie told authorities he doesn't have a clue how the snake escaped from its cage.
"I thought the snakes were sleeping until I saw the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I saw this horrific scene," said Savoie, who caught the python in his living room, pinned it down and put it in a cage. "It's ridiculous. I can't believe this is real."
The snake wrapped itself around the brothers and constricted them, a spokeperson said.
The two brothers, Noah Barthe, 4, and Connor Barthe, 6, were sound asleep Monday when the 100-pound, 15-foot African rock python escaped from its cage. It was reported that Savoie's son was sleeping in a different room.
The pathologist completed the autopsies on Noah and Connor Barthe and confirmed they died from asphyxiation.
The python has been put down and sent to Fredericton for a necropsy.
"I can tell you it's a criminal investigation right now to determine if any criminal act is responsible for the death of the two boys." "We're going to look at all avenues." said Tremblay.
The boys uncle Dave Rose, said that the mother and the two boys were friends with Savoie, and were out together on Sunday.
"They played with llamas and goats and horses," he said. "They played with dogs and cats in the hay loft. They went for a ride in the farm tractor, which I'm told they even let them steer the tractor, so they had a super day."
A memorial to the brothers has been set up outside Reptile Ocean, including teddy bears and candles. Jean Coutu has set up a donation at the local pharmacy to help raise money for the boys funerals.