Exercise Routine

JoshPosh

Banned
Is there a standard fitness test performed yearly for police officers? I don't see how a obese police officer can be in hot pursuit on foot.

Patrick

I would imagine that there is one, but if a police officer fails he will probably just have to attend some exercise "remedial training". I doubt that there are severe penalties like dismissal from the force in place, as that could lead to disputes and employment issues.

Determined2014

I believe there is, or there has to be, but at the same time I am doubting, because you can find some real obese cops out there that you know no matter what happens and they have to chase after you on foot there is no way they can catch up with you.

SamClemensMT

There is a difference between being obese and being a big guy. There are a lot of football players, both college and pro who are huge and overweight. When you meet these men in person they have an imposing presence. The same is true with cops. When you have a domestic disturbance call an a 300 lb 6' 7" officer knocks on the door people become really cooperative all of a sudden. Do you know why?

SamClemensMT

More likely that if the officer makes his arrest, and his paper work is filed correctly there won't be any complaints about him. Either you can do your job or you can't. You should encourage fitness, but you shouldn't force people to be fit. America is still a free country. And, no I'm not a fat guy, but I love standing up for freedom.

downsouth

More likely that if the officer makes his arrest, and his paper work is filed correctly there won't be any complaints about him. Either you can do your job or you can't. You should encourage fitness, but you shouldn't force people to be fit. America is still a free country. And, no I'm not a fat guy, but I love standing up for freedom.

They should not have to undergo marine training or anything but officers should not be grossly overweight or obese. If a suspect saw that the officer in no way can out run him or was out of shape he/she may run or even get violent. Then things will escalate for no reason. I agree with a certain physical stature you can make your presence felt but you should not be out of shape if you are going to be an active officer on patrol.

downsouth

The police station I have near me is equipped with its own gym. I have heard several other districts have the same. So I think there is some type of fitness test that officers have to undergo. I don't know how frequent it is.

Vickeree

I know in some states, they undergo some martial arts training.

There were some research that compared police officers who underwent a martial arts program versus those who do not and it's surprising to know that those who have undergone the martial arts training and exercise program were less likely to have confrontations in real life that resulted in violence.