Exotic Pet in NJ Escapes--Again

Rhoda D'Ettore

A woman in NJ who owns a bobcat--which she declawed--was cited several times for the 38 pound cat escaping. She claims that it is a hybrid and is quite domesticated. Contradicting reports state the cat escaped between 3-6 times. The judge ordered a DNA test after its last escape, but the tests were inconclusive. The judge implied his rulings would be different if the animal truly were a hybrid. Last week the cat escaped again, but this time it was caught in a humane trap and given to a local zoo.

Some people are arguing that bobcats are wild in NJ anyway, so what is the big deal. Others are outraged the woman is so irresponsible with a declawed cat that cannot defend itself in the wild.

What do you think?

Muthoni

The reason why people go to war is because they cannot compromise. There is no winning in this issue. If the woman keeps the cat, maybe it will one day hurt someone with its teeth. If it is in the zoo without out its claws, it could be a bit difficult for the cat to adjust. Now that it is finally in the zoo, the only option left is for the zoo keepers to ensure that the cat is protected. At least the woman can go visit when she misses her cat.

Patrick

There definitely needs to be much more regulation on exotic pets, particularly if they are endangered or if they possess the ability to maim or kill. Owners definitely need to be assessed for their ability to restrain, confine and keep these animals for the long run, and agencies need to check up on them regularly.

Gelsemium

A bobcat, really? This animal can cause someone's death, so it can be considered a pet, this has to be illegal!

Teens In Crisis

I read an article recently that said their are more Tigers in captivity in Texas, than their are in the wild, world wide. That's pretty scary stuff. Everyone talks about the "Zombie Apocalypse" but now lets factor in the amount of animals that will be roaming around too!

askanison

Declawed or not it can still rip out a throat with it's teeth or maul children. I don't understand why some people feel the need to own exotic dangerous pets in an urban environment. It is going to get out or wind up attacking someone someday and you will get in tons of trouble for having it. I would think this person could lose their home or apartment when it comes to light that they are harboring a wild animal in the building.

DancingLady

Obviously this cat is not as domesticated as she claims or it wouldn't want to escape so badly. Bobcats may be native wild animals in the area, but a declawed cat is not going to be able to survive if it got in a fight with another bobcat. I personally do not like the practice of declawing cats. It should never be done to a cat that is going to go outdoors as it leaves them very unsafe. I get the draw of having an exotic pet, but a wild animal is a wild animal. It takes years and years of selective breeding to domesticate an animal, you can't just pick up a wild kitten and make it a domestic cat.

Fifty

I don't know what people expect to happen - I'm usually leaning way toward the non-lethal means but there's only so much you can do.

Rhoda D'Ettore

Would you believe now there is one lose in Delaware? This one looks like a bobcat to me, but the articles only say "hybrid of wild and domestic cat".

Did you ever see the episode of "Fatal Attractions" on Animal Planet where the tiger was raised in the projects of Harlem? And they sent in the police! Poor officer thought he was getting eaten that day!