Facebook Post Prompts Mom to Turn in Son

Onthemark

The woman’s 18-year-old son was wanted in connection with a recent robbery.

A Casselberry woman got quite a shock recently while surfing Facebook posts. It seems her 18-year-old son was rather recognizable in a particular post that caught her attention. Two photos of the teen were displayed inside a wanted poster added to the Casselberry Police Department’s page.

Facebook Post Prompts Mom to Turn in Son, Cops Say | Brandon, FL Patch

Kittyworker

Good to hear that some parents still realize that if their kids are committing crime that one of the best ways to help them is to turn them in. Hopefully this guy can take the time that he spends locked away to improve his life.

missbishi

It must have taken some guts for the mom to turn her son in. Of course, she did the right thing but I do wonder what the implications for any future relationship between them will be.

stevesxs9

I don't know how hard it was for her, but it definitely was the right thing to do. Hopefully in the long run, the youngster will learn a valuable lesson. I think if he takes responsibility for what he did, that's a good sign he might go straight.

mrsbright

Huh. When I was young, my friends and I used to shoplift from a Dollorama -- when our moms found out, they made us give it back (or give it away, I'm not sure) and gave us a harsh scolding, etc, etc. Never shoplifted since. Of course, we were still underaged, so we would not have gotten any heavy legal punishment, but I'd say, it did suffice.

I can't say that what this woman did was wrong, but I do hope that she had a conversation with her son at some point, hopefully before turning him in. That would probably be the best way to treat him as family -- show him you do love him and want the best for him before "betraying" him (which is how he'll see it if they did not discuss at all)

tanker

Best to stop him younger before he starts to commit more serious crimes. Usually crime starts as a progression, they start with small stuff like shoplifting and then work their way up. Hopefully the kid will get on the right track.

Patrick

Turning the son in would have led to a less severe punishment I think. Hope this doesn't ruin their relationship and the son realizes that his mother did it for his sake. It must have hurt her a lot.

donnalynn47

As a mother myself I would have to do the same. I would tell my son you did this you knew it was wrong. You have two options you can give yourself up, we'll call the cops let them know you are coming in on your own. Or I'll turn you in I'll give you a day to think it over. It's up to you I have no choice but you did.

Rainman

I doubt that many mothers would turn their offspring over so they can face the consequences of their actions. She's one unique mom. Makes me wonder though, would the son hate her for handing him over to the authorities? We need more mothers like her because they normally tend to know where their "kids" are hiding when they break the law.

Gelsemium

So she turned in her own kid? That is brave from her, but at the same time most likely she just wanted him to recover to a better life, so I think it was a good measure.

Shimus

I doubt that many mothers would turn their offspring over so they can face the consequences of their actions. She's one unique mom. Makes me wonder though, would the son hate her for handing him over to the authorities? We need more mothers like her because they normally tend to know where their "kids" are hiding when they break the law.

I doubt it too, at least WILLINGLY. Most mothers would defend their sons even if they committed murder, it's the parental feeling - EVEN if it is (and it is) wrong. This mother must have some pre-existing beef with her son if she didn't know he was already wanted.

OMGnoWAY

That'll teach him to teach his mom how to use facebook!

Ha ha no jk.

Poor woman, though. I can't imagine finding out:
A. My kid is a criminal/into illegal activities
B. Everyone is my city now knows it.
If it was just hanging out on the front of the local police station's page YOU KNOW someone else who knows her saw it. So now she has to worry about her son and his future, all while many in her community will probably shun her and call her a bad mom.

I don't know why the kid committed the crime or why he is the way he is, but I would call THIS move a hallmark of a good mom. This is like my mom making me take back the keyring I stole when I was 2 years old and apologize except times 180497810743108. I never stole again and hopefully this kid won't commit a crime again.

piez

It's easy to put blame on the mother but I believe she did the right thing. If you let things slide then the kid will just think he always get away with everything. This type of thinking will eventually turn around and come back on you. Like others have said it is best to catch them while they are young before the long term habit of crime sets in and they have ruined their life forever.

Waynefire

I am glad to see that some parents still care enough to turn in their kids when they do wrong. I know so many parents that would not want to turn in their kids for anything. I just think that is wrong, if they have done something wrong, they need to learn the lesson to keep from repeating it.

Gabe

She did the right thing, but as it was on Facebook, she also would know many other people would recognize him and someone else may have done it. At least she did it and she could identify him without doubt to the police. Maybe others saw it and didn't know what to do, but a parent is also there to guide and reprimand their child whatever age they are.

thegrey1

I would do it! It doesn't help a kid to go out screaming about what a good boy he is when he has clearly broken the law. This shows me that the mom is not to blame for her son's mistakes.

dyanmarie25

I would say I admire this mother. What kind of a mother would turn in his son? Only the brave and open-minded ones who believe that spoiling their children is not the right method of raising them well. I guess, it's a bit painful for the mother too to see his son go behind the bars, but I think she's looking forward for her son to change for the better. It's a bit of a sacrifice for the well-being of her son.

marcamm

This mother is definitely a good mother, in the sense that she knows that it's her son and he's her responsibility. If the other way around happened, I think the mother would have been very guilty by now if indeed she has some conscience left.

The world needs people like this; honest, civil and will not tolerate bad people even if it is a family member, how hard it might seem for her. I salute this mother.

Gelsemium

I agree, nothing like being honest even if this means sending the kid to jail. Eventually that's what he needs to get back on track.