Fertilizer Plant Explosion In Texas

Anthony

Super Moderator
A fire and chemical explosion at a Texas fertilizer plant in a town that is north of Waco, Texas, occurred Wednesday evening. There are reports at least 180 people were sent to hospitals, demolished homes and widespread evacuations.
The blast at the West Fertilizer Plant in West, Texas, killed an estimated five to 15 people, said Sgt. William Patrick Swanton of the Waco Police Department, who was relaying information to the media.
"I know that's a rough estimate," Swanton told reporters, "but that's the best that I can give you."
It was felt 20 to 30 miles away, witnesses said.
At least 75 or more homes and buildings surrounding the plant that were damaged, officials said.
West City Councilwoman Cheryl Marak told the news that the blast killed her dog and destroyed her house and surrounding homes approximately 2 1/2 blocks from the plant.
"With the explosions, the whole street lifted up," she told the news. "It was like a massive bomb went off. It demolished both my houses, my mother's and mine."
Officials report by Thursday morning most of the fire was contained.
"It was smoldering still and it still is active," State Trooper D.L. Wilson said around 1 a.m. ET. "You know other ingredients [are] at the facility, so we don't want that to explode again. So right now we can't get firefighters in there. We're worried about people right now, not property.
"We are not indicating that it is a crime but we don't know," Swanton said. "What that means to us is that until we know that it is an industrial accident we will work it as a crime scene. ATF [the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives] is conducting the main investigation."
Early Thursday morning, authorities were going to each house searching for survivors in the blast zone.

Last edited by a moderator: