Firefighter Injured In Apparent Targeted Drive-By Shooting

Anthony

Super Moderator
attachment.php

Jacksonville police say a firefighter was wounded Tuesday in an apparent drive-by shooting as he and four others refueled a fire truck outside their station on the city's south side.

According to Lt. Jackson Short of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, the firefighters were outside of Station 28 fueling a ladder truck at the time of the shooting. Authorities say around 7:30 p.m. someone driving by the firefighters fired five or six shots, hitting one of the firefighters in the arm after the bullet ricocheted.

“It appears the firemen were targeted,†Short said. “Because they are firefighters, they were on duty and the area is very well lit from the streetlights at the gas pump area.â€

The vehicile then sped off. Nobody was able to give police a description of the car or the occupants.

“I am outraged by cowardly attacks on our brave first responders,†said Jacksonville Mayor Alvin Brown in a Facebook post. “These attacks will not be tolerated.†"As mayor, I will do everything in my power to protect the firefighters and police officers who work so hard to keep us safe. They deserve no less."

Police say the firefighter was treated at the scene and not hospitalized.

Lt. Jackson Short is asking for tips from the public. He asked to keep an eye out on social media for anyone talking or posting something about the shooting incident.

Attachments

• JacksonvilleFirefighter.jpg
    JacksonvilleFirefighter.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 979
Last edited by a moderator:

pattycake

Wow.... A drive by on firefighters? What the? Huh? I don't understand. Why would anybody want to mess with firefighters of all people? They don't bother anybody and their job is to save lives.

SF13

Why in the world would anyone target firefighters? Seriously, that makes no sense. I've heard of paramedics getting robbed for whatever they have in their ambulances, but what do firefighters have to steal? Do people just hate public safety?

pattycake

Why in the world would anyone target firefighters? Seriously, that makes no sense. I've heard of paramedics getting robbed for whatever they have in their ambulances, but what do firefighters have to steal? Do people just hate public safety?

I've been trying to figure that out myself. I heard a story in the news awhile back about firefighters having their cars vandalized while they were out answering alarms, and I was discussing it in a He forum with members, and this guy started raving about firefighters deserving it. But when I asked him why he didn't reply. He couldn't justify his rant.

Gelsemium

Wow.... A drive by on firefighters? What the? Huh? I don't understand. Why would anybody want to mess with firefighters of all people? They don't bother anybody and their job is to save lives.

Most likely it's something personal, this sort of action is typical from gangs, so nothing related to fire fighting I am assuming.

Peninha

In agree Gel, but if it's personal why have the attacked close to the station? I hope they are caught, we are living insane days...