Four Children Killed in Horrendous Large Fire in Philadelphia

Anthony

Super Moderator
philly fire.jpg
A massive fire in a Philadelphia began around 2:45 a.m. killing four children. The tragic accident happened in a neighborhood where the houses are connected. The fast moving blaze began at one house and continued through numerous homes.
By the time it was over it obliterated eight homes. "This is a tragic, tragic day for the city of Philadelphia," said Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer. "We lost four children today."
Witnesses told authorities they heard firecrackers go off just before the fire started.
Jeff Boone told reporters he had just stopped playing a video game when he walked out onto his porch. He saw a yellow glow four doors down. Boone said it looked like part of a couch on the porch was on fire.
"By the time I went back into the house to get my niece out, I tried to grab my fire extinguisher," Boone said. "By the time I got back the whole couch was lit up and it started catching all the porches."
Boone said he called 911 as he was running down the street screaming to his neighbors that there a was fire. He said he heard children yelling for help from of the homes.
"I heard them in there screaming," Boone said. "The flames were so high and intense that I couldn't go over there."
Inside that house was Dewen Bowah and seven children. Bowah told authorities she was able to get three of the children out of the house by jumping out of a second floor window. But she couldn't get to the other four children.
"They were the sweetest kids, a little shy, but sweet," said Tameka Harrington, who lives across from the home. "The fire moved too fast. It was too late to warn people. There was nothing I could do but watch it burn."
Another resident said her family was sleeping when the massive fire began.
"I was sleeping and I had seen the fire," said Keisha Burgess, another resident. "I just woke up and grabbed my kids. The fire was just spreading and it was just everywhere, house to house.
I had to wake up, bring my kids out and just get out."
It is reported that 42 people have been displaced. The Red Cross set up a shelter at a nearby high school.
Authorities have yet to determine the cause of the fire. More details in this story will be released as soon as they are made available.

Last edited by a moderator: