Freddie Gray Death Ruled Homicide

Rainman

The 6 officers who had been suspended will now be charged with second degree assault and involuntary manslaughter. This should be good news to the family of Freddie Gray but as trials go, this doesn't mean that they'll be found guilty of the crime. The news didn't please the Police union though.

Freddie Gray death ruled homicide; officers charged - CNN.com

"Let me begin by stating how appalled and frustrated we are at this morning's events. .... We are disappointed in the apparent rush to judgment given the fact that the investigation into this matter has not been concluded," said Gene Ryan, president of the police union, at a news conference. "Our officers, like every other American, are entitled to due process."

Why all the fuss? If they [the police officers] are innocent then the court will let them go free.

lushlala

I agree with you, Rainman. What is it they say again, guilty until proven innocent, right? I too don't see what the fuss is. If they're innocent then they'll be exonerated. That's what happens with civilians, and I don't see why it should be any different with police officers or anyone else for that matter. We can only hope that nobody's looking to make an example of the concerned police officers, and that the case seeks to get to the bottom of what really happened. If I were Freddie Gray's family, I wouldn't celebrate just yet.

Gabe

The question is, are these charges being brought up to pacify the public? The case will have to have some concrete biological evidence to prove the charges which maybe hard.

bala

Am i the only one thinking it's all political. She will lose at trial as there's no way to prove any police officer murdered that man.The Gray family attorney was a big political contributor to the prosecutor's campaign.

Whitewolf2578

Yeah hopefully they get this all figured out and find out what really happened. Everyone just seems to be pointing fingers at this time. I would hate for the police officers to go to prison if they were innocent. The guy had committed crimes prior to his arrest and wasn't really a good person in the community. This is more of an excuse to say people have racial hate crimes. The police officers will probably get off though. They were just doing their job, he probably tried to get away.

DancingLady

It is about time the cops were actually held accountable for this despicable treatment of a human being. I do not assume that all cops are like this by any means, but there has been a long standing trend in this country that when those cops who are racist and violent brutally mistreat or kill an African American in their custody, they are not held accountable for the crimes they committed against this person. No one should ever be treated in such a way no matter what crimes they are being arrested for.

dyanmarie25

It is about time the cops were actually held accountable for this despicable treatment of a human being. I do not assume that all cops are like this by any means, but there has been a long standing trend in this country that when those cops who are racist and violent brutally mistreat or kill an African American in their custody, they are not held accountable for the crimes they committed against this person. No one should ever be treated in such a way no matter what crimes they are being arrested for.

Very true. If you're a real police man, you should have good moral and values, not just your violent streak and arrogant attitude.

lushlala

I agree, if they are found to have caused his death through gross neglect and misconduct, I think they ought to be sentenced accordingly.

However, the police have been getting a very bad rep lately, and we can only hope this isn't political, a witch hunt that will culminate in the government making an example of the officers in question just to get back in the people's good graces! I only pray for justice for all concerned :)

Onionman

There are deep rooted issues that need to be addressed in the US beyond the conviction or not of some police. People really need to start having the conversations. That's the issue, not one-off police episodes.