Free food and drinks, as well as other perks?

primalclaws1974

I know for a fact, especially in bigger cities around here, that police get free drinks and snacks when they come into an overnight gas station or other store. A police presence in an otherwise somewhat defenseless store would be welcome. Do you get freebies? Is there anything else you get for free, when the average citizen would have to pay for it?

LitoLawless

I feel like cops get free food and drinks in most places. I have seen cops get free or extremely discounted three course meals. I think it's pretty good compensation for putting their lives on the line on a daily basis. I think that cops should get a little bit more for free because it would be one less thing that they have to worry about, then they can worry more about keeping everyone safe.

Patrick

I have seen cops get free doughnuts/hotdogs, but I'm not sure if they get it for free on a regular basis. I think it is more likely that they get some extra food or drinks on top of their order, or a free meal if they are regulars. And personally I'm perfectly ok with it, it's just a small token of appreciation for their dedication to keeping the area safe for everyone.

Gelsemium

I think it's wise from the sellers to make these offers, a friendly police officer can always protect us better am I right? ;)

pattycake

No. I haven't picked up on that. I see cops in stores all the time, but never noticed them getting anything free. I'll pay more attention form now on.

CyberGal

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this. Instead, I see quite the opposite: a lot of benefits. In fact, when I used to manage a convenience store we'd always give the cops free hot drinks and fountain drinks too. It really doesn't cost the store anything and yet, like you said, the police presence really can do a lot of good.

Popcorn365

I personally, have never noticed this practice but I think that it is awesome! I know there has been a ton of negative media regarding cops in the news lately but I do not think that the negative is the norm. I often am puzzled why celebrities and sports stars are paid so much and the people that are putting their lives on the line to keep the population safe are not. I wish I saw this practice taking place in my town but would like to see it extended to firemen as well!!

MsJLO

I don't see why this is a big deal either way. If a vendor wants to be generous and show appreciation and give a gift to an officer like a soda, coffee, or donut. Its not like they are going in and shaking them down for "security" residual money.

Rocky55119

I've never seen this, but then again I live in Minnesota and people do not appreciate police for some reason, "oh me gosh der is over policing in this neighborhood!!!!".

However, I feel it would be good and bad. If I was personally offered free food I would feel really guilty on the inside because everybody else didn't get it, but I did. But then again I feel as its a good way to show, "thank you for serving us" and it can improve an officer's duty. I mean personally as a police officer I wouldn't carry around alot of money, personally alot of people think that police are immune to being robbed, but I feel as they are at more risk to be attacked on streets, and that could help me with issues like that. Not to mention it would improve my mood knowing that I am appreciated in the community.

shilpa123

I think free food and drink *can really perk up a officers life. When they are given free food it only means that the officer is liked *by many other people and hence are trying to express their gratitude. I believe that the people *are only trying to make the officer happy.*

sillylucy

When in Los Angeles, New York City or in Boston I always see cops get free food and free perks. It is a way that a merchant says thank you for their services. I do believe that it is a way to show appreciation and gratitude. I don't think it is "wrong" because the vendor decides who to give freebies to.