Friends in the academy: Helpful or distraction?

Profit5500

I believe that friends in the academy can be quite helpful in every possible way. Academy training is quite a tough one and I believe that one should be happy if they have friends working there.
The friends would be a very good support system since you all can focus on getting through the academy together. Even when you all get through the academy you would be friends when you are on the beat. So friends would be a beneficial way of getting through the academy.

GemmaRowlands

I think it depends how you think about it. It can often be helpful to have somebody who you can talk to about the process, and about what you might be expecting from it in the future, however you shouldn't allow it to distract you from the tasks that you have to complete. It can be very tempting to spend all of your time with one person if you already know them, when you should be trying to network and get to know the other people who are around you. This will be a better way to spend your time, and should mean that you are more successful in the future of the process. The academy can often be very hard to get through anyway, so you should of course use any support that you can get hold of, but you have to be able to walk the fine line between support and distraction, which can sometimes be a little bit hard to draw.

OMGnoWAY

I think it's probably very helpful to have friends to study and practice with. It's also a high stress job and I could see how having friends at work might help mitigate the stress. I would hope that any and all tests to be a police officer would be strict enough to fail you if you were goofing off instead of learning or participating, though.

JoanMcWench

Oh, yea. That's tough. If they're more of a help than a hindrance you have to give them credit where it's due. If they're more of a distraction than you would like to admit than you have to do the same. It really depends on whether or not your willing to define them by helps or hinders. Which is something you have to do if you want to get to the truth.

marcamm

I think that friends being either helpful or a distraction really depends on YOU. You are the only one who can choose and decide for yourself whether you want to be distracted or not. We make friends to help each other; a good friend who really understands you will not do anything to harm or do something that will affect you negatively. If he or she isn't aware that he/she is already being a distraction, tell him/her nicely. A good friend will understand that - there is nothing that a good COMMUNICATION won't do, especially between friends.

Gelsemium

Yes, I agree with that. Friends is ok, but we cannot forget the ultimate goal of being there, so we need to take the most of it, we can make friends and be with our friends elsewhere.

Rainman

It never hurts to be civil. You don't necessarily go to the police academy so you can make friends but you should be careful not to make any enemies. Most people may presume being polite is a sign of friendship so should they believe it's so when it isn't, then embrace it. No man is an Island. In any case, you could end up working in the same community at some point in your career. Who needs an enemy by his side?

So I think making friends in the academy can be good for you in the long run.

Gelsemium

Sure, it's always good to make friends as long as we don't forget our primary goal. That's one thing life taught me, be civil, don't be rude because it's always good that people like us.

shilpa123

I do believe that friends in academy are quite helpful and are definitely worth it. It is best to try and talk to them about any difficulty a person is facing and hence cope with it.

shilpa123

Friends in Academy are quite useful and helpful. I do believe one should be careful while thinking about whom to talk to and whom not to. I believe friends can be really helpful when you are in need.

dyanmarie25

It could be helpful and could be a distraction as well. I think you must really be picky on what kind of people you're going to be close with, because you don't know if they have bad feelings towards you.