Gender Issues

Rainman

Despite the fact that men and and women in the force are supposed to be "equal" in all senses of the word, when duties are assigned does the one in charge [or dispatcher] take into account the gender of the officer? Say if it's a potentially dangerous situation that must be dealt with, are male officers more likely to be sent?

lushlala

That's a very interesting question! I still maintain that even though people like this equality thing between genders, it can't always apply. There are things that men will do better because of their size and strength, in comparison to the smaller, more slight female form. The more physical the job, the better suited to men in most cases. Unless you have a very butch woman who can take out most men LOL However, when it comes to the level of intelligence and mental capacity, it's anybody game. I'd be interested to know how the police handles this one.

Gabe

I think it would depend on who was available and the officers experience. Women who have have more experience with rape or assault cases may be sent as it maybe help the case. I don't think gender makes much of a difference these days, but it depends on the area and how many officers are active.

FuZyOn

I heard from a friend that it depends if the mission requires a lot of force and resistance. In the rest of the cases the higher ranks usually have priority.
Don't take me for granted though, my facts are not 100%.

dyanmarie25

I think it really depends on the situation or mission, and the availability and the experiences of police officers.

JoanMcWench

Well, there would be only a semblance of equality then. It's kind of like the firefighter question: If you're trapped underneath something in a raging fire would you want a man or woman to come to your assistance? It's unfair to women generally speaking but if you know any women (as I do) in male dominated careers you know they put more into their job than their male counterparts to earn the respect they are sometimes handed.