Guns for Self-Defense

Diane Lane

Here's a story from Baltimore, relating to the current riots. Honestly, who in their right mind, watching the news coverage, would not want the ability to protect him/herself? I have no doubt there are people watching the riot coverage, who are running out and stocking up on guns and ammunition, and I don't blame them. Reporters (some of whom have no doubt fanned the flames that whipped the crowd into their frenzy) have been caught in the mob, and injured. Here's a story of one shop owner who happened to have a gun, and was able to save one of the reporters: Baltimore Sun Reporter Saved From Mob By Store Owner Armed With Shotgun - Breitbart

bala

I got an info for you that would make you feel these riots are actually without a point.

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

With this a trace of criminal record,i really don't understand the concept of a riot Do they want them to let people like this go scot free ?

Diane Lane

@bala, is that the record of the guy they're crying about? If so, it doesn't surprise me at all. There seems to be a dearth of common sense these days. The reporter in the story I posted actually thought the self-described Crips gang members were protecting him. How stupid can he be? Anyone participating in such an event is either a criminal, wants to be a criminal, got caught up in the area and wasn't able to escape, has gone there to try to maintain/restore order, and would probably be anywhere else but there, is a business owner trying to protect an investment, or is exacerbating the situation, and that includes the press.

Yes, they want to let people like that go free, then be able to cry victim when they are assaulted, robbed, or a loved one is murdered, expecting the same police they call abusive and accuse of brutality, to come protect them. If there is a problem with the way police are handling certain situations, this certainly is not the way to rectify the issue. A system exists to review how cases and people are handled, the press are reporting about the situation, people are aware, and that is how our system of justice works. Many times, in situations such as this one, outside agitators are the cause of the problem. They go into an area, whip people who feel disenfranchized into a frenzy, create chaos, then go home and count their money.

Josie

It's not about letting people go free.. obviously this guy deserved time, but his life was taken instead. Everyone.. no matter how troubled.. deserves to live. Everyone is fed up and in many cases, some people will look for any reason to riot. I haven't been following this, so I don't know all the details.. but a long rap sheet does not mean he was any less worthy of fighting for as he was one of very very many and criminal or not, did not deserve to die.

thegrey1

Great story Diane Lane. I think if I lived there, I would always go armed. I remember the Rodney King fiasco in L.A. years ago. So many innocent White and Asian people were attacked viciously and robbed. There is NO excuse for this behavior.

dyanmarie25

With so many horrible things happening nowadays, I think it's just fine to use guns as self-defense. You will never know what's going to happen to you, if you're going to get attacked or robbed or something like that. I wouldn't blame anyone for hiding/keeping a gun; they just want to protect themselves.

Josie

I'm so proud to live in a country where nobody feels the need to be armed to stay safe. I feel very very badly for those who do :(

bala

I'm so proud to live in a country where nobody feels the need to be armed to stay safe. I feel very very badly for those who do :(
Where are you..? I mean how come you feel so secure.Of course in here too we don't possess guns,for safety,not because of the safe environment as you may perceive,but because it is illegal to own one.I am amused and as well as envy you,to be brutally honest :p

Whitewolf2578

I have a few guns myself, but they are used for hunting purposes. I would rather stock up on food and water. I already have enough medieval weapons to keep me protected. I don't blame these people at all though. Those people are getting all worked up over nothing. They are all pretending to know the guy just to get on the news.

GlacialDoom

While I think it is important for anyone to be able to defend themselves, I don't think guns are the solution to this. Sure, they would lead to many lives said, but given the huge number of trigger happy folks, there would be way more people killed over stupid reasons such as grudges or small fights.

I think a solution would be a stun gun or maybe good old pepper spray.