Have you ever mentored someone?

wameyo

There's this saying that says that to give is much more rewarding than to receive. In that aspect have you ever mentored anyone for free without expecting anything in return. It could be at work or just a friend of yours.

GlacialDoom

Yeah, I have mentored a few classmates that were pretty bad at English and Maths. I did it for free, because they REALLY needed mentoring, so I thought I should be a good guy and help them. In the end, they passed the class.

Josie

I guess so? I help a lot of people with their diet and health. The results are amazing and reaffirms everything I believe to be true about food and lifestyle. I'm not in the profession, but I have helped friends and word travelled amongst them I suppose. The results are amazing. I may not know all there is to know and I may be wrong about this or that as things change, but health is pretty simple. Other than the flukes of nature, your health is easy to obtain if you care. That's why I get so upset with all the excuses and the indifference when it comes to how unhealthy people eat... I see the consequences of it every day and it's so easy to prevent.

bala

Lolz..will mentoring count only if done to someone outside the family or can it be anyone.?
I have mentored my sister quite a lot of times just because i feel awesome.I can't describe it..sigh..

jeremy2

I mentored my niece when they were about to join college and i was at hand giving them advice on the best careers to chose and the best institutions to join. Am happy to say that they are now doing very well.

Shimus

I have mentored plenty of people about many different issues from academics to finding the right video game and holding their hands inside said issues. Sometimes all a person needs to be independent and find their stride is for someone else to believe in them and give them the proper notice they deserve. Nobody deserves to be rejected.

JoanMcWench

I've been the reluctant mentor of quite a few children in my life. I think it's because I have a lot of single mothers I know & they tend to not want to be the 'bad guy' so they use me as a way of keeping their children in line. But the truth is children gravitate to those people that keep them in line. As long as you're doing it in the correct way of course.

Rainman

I've done or at least I've offered to help some people with what I'm good at and most of them thought I was no good so they lost out. With mentoring it's much better if those who are interested in learning something to approach you. I know though I owe a huge debt which must be paid forward so maybe in future I just find a few young people who look "promising" and arm them with knowledge that will make them much better than their peers.

dyanmarie25

I think I did some mentoring before, but it was more like trying to help. Sometimes, I would try to explain other subjects, mostly English and Literature to my classmates. I have also tutored a foreign student when I was in college. I was inside a bookstore, then a Chinese guy approached me and asked me to help him learn more about the English vocabulary. First, I was real hesitant because he was a complete stranger, but I saw his eagerness and sincerity, so I said yes eventually.

Gabe

I have mentored people who have crossed my path and then when it's time for them to go they drift away. Mentoring not in the studying sense, is to be their to guide another using your own experience, not to tell them what to do, but highlight options and act as sounding board when they are figuring it out.

Peninha

I don't really get the concept being a mentor, in what way? I've helped people, but I don't think it qualifies as being a mentor. I do always help when I have the opportunity.

bala

I don't really get the concept being a mentor, in what way? I've helped people, but I don't think it qualifies as being a mentor. I do always help when I have the opportunity.
Mentoring is where you literally reform a person and ask him/her to mend his ways for the better.it can range from just advising to serious changes to them,for the better of course.It is when you know something and preach it to the other person to use it,in my terms.:p :p