Have you found people more often claim race a reason for arrest?

JoanMcWench

In America it seems to be that attention has been focused on citizens being arrested due to race & not crime. If not arrested than assaulted or unfairly questioned. While some of these situations are clearly wrong, some may have nothing to do with what the person claimed occurred. Do you think all of these claims are legitimate? Is it possible the focus on these issues affords real criminals an excuse after committing a crime?

Rainman

To be honest, racism is so entrenched in American society that it would hard to for anything to be done without someone, [anyone] pointing out that racism was the primary motivation for something [anything] being done. So when someone is arrested . . .

. . . say an African-American who has committed a crime is arrested by a white police officer, he'll say he's been unfairly targeted because he's black. It's a common occurrence . . . and that forced some African-Americans to speak out against it:

. . . former NBA star Karl Malone said he was “sick and tired†of fellow African Americans using “that excuse about race,†arguing that it was time for personal responsibility and for the community to “stop waiting on someone to come march on our behalf.â€

sillylucy

I think ever since the Rodney King scandal more people have come out and used race to get out of things, but there are times when people of color are just up to no good. I think what needs to be kept in check is officers losing their cool and not the whole "race card" playing citizens. Playing the race card isn't illegal, but police brutality is on another level.

thegrey1

sillylucy, you make an excellent point, police brutality is a crime. Police officers have got to be in control of their emotions at all times. On the other hand, there are so many false accusations of racism in America, it has grown tedious. I think most racism is coming from the "people of color." Also incidents of black on black crime and black on white crime vastly outnumber any other type.