High Speed Chases

Diane Lane

There was another high speed police chase up in Houston today. The criminal was speeding, and slammed into an innocent person's vehicle, and that person died. Police chase ends in crash in N. Harris County | abc13.com I believe both Houston Police Department and Harris County Sheriff's Department were involved in this chase.

Police agencies follow different procedures during chases, some of which are probably more effective than others. We often have police chases here in the Houston, Texas area that seem to last forever. How are they handled where you live? What do you think would be the best way to handle chases, particularly high speed ones?

Josie

I've never heard of it where I'm from and where I am now it never happens either. I have no idea how they're supposed to handle it, I should ask my friend.

Rosyrain

I don't think that officers get involved in high speed chases around here due to the safety issues for citizens just going about their days. They use more tactical maneuvers like radio in other patrol cars up ahead so that they can force the Suspect to slow down and stop, that sort of thing. I don't think I have ever heard of one in my state in years.

Diane Lane

I don't recall hearing about them much when I was living in MA, but then again, that area is a lot more compact and congested, also. Harris County, which is where Houston is in, is larger than the state of Rhode Island, and sometimes the chases here go from one end of the county to the other, and/or out of the county. Most of the time, innocent people aren't hurt, but occasionally they are, and it's a shame. I don't particularly care what happens to the criminal who is endangering others by fleeing in an unsafe manner, but I would like to see the issue addressed, so the public is not put at risk.

JoanMcWench

We're getting closer & closer to the place where our cars are no longer really in our control. There will be a time period, clearly later in life, where you will be disabled by your OnStar every time. No chase & no death needed.

lushlala

That's just so heartbreaking! I mean, that poor innocent person got his life cut short through no fault of his, at the hand of some fool! It must be really frightening to be caught up in that.

I've never seen a high speed police chase where I live, possibly because we are a very small population and high profile crime is not as high, it's very rare. I honestly wouldn't really know what to do in that situation. I'm such a scaredy cat, I'd probably just freeze!

Gabe

Most of these are coordinated with helicopters and multiple agencies if the person is a suspect. We often see programs following car chases in the UK and they have a helicopter tracking them and telling the police where to head and potential routes or places to cut them off.

Unfortunately they do cause more incidents and deaths, but if they weren't being chased then maybe a murderer is on the loose. It's always dangerous on a chase as the public is vulnerable, but is a risk they have to take to capture a suspect.

oraclemay

The only place I have ever seen a high speed chase is on TV, so I don't think these actually takes place too often. I totally agree that measures must be put in place to protect the innocent citizens who may be vulnerable to this. It is always sad when innocent people are either injured or die because of the foolishness of another.

bala

There was another high speed police chase up in Houston today. The criminal was speeding, and slammed into an innocent person's vehicle, and that person died. Police chase ends in crash in N. Harris County | abc13.com I believe both Houston Police Department and Harris County Sheriff's Department were involved in this chase.

Police agencies follow different procedures during chases, some of which are probably more effective than others. We often have police chases here in the Houston, Texas area that seem to last forever. How are they handled where you live? What do you think would be the best way to handle chases, particularly high speed ones?
A roadblock should suffice,for if you block it all across the viable direction you can have it easy to catch him.
High speed ones need a geo tag to even have remote possiblities of a "catch"

Rainman

The town I live in is "quiet." It's a small town, small population and very few criminals and since they aren't many, the crimes committed would also be very few. Ever since I moved here I've never heard of high speed chases. Anyway, I think the best way to handle high speed chases to ensure the safety of everyone is, as Gabe says, to have a helicopter track the suspects. That way the suspects can't get away.

Diane Lane

@lushlala If one's aware of what's going on, s/he can pull over to the side of the road. The sirens often alert people to the chase, but we've had instances where the criminals will speed off an on-ramp, and no one ever expects a car to come hurtling down an on-ramp, so that usually results in at least some damage, if not injuries and death. There are so many people who just don't care about others, it's sad when people choose to put others' lives at risk, rather than face the consequences of their behavior.

Diane Lane

@JoanMcWench Yes, and I'm surprised we're not already hearing of more such incidents, because the agencies involved usually have plate numbers, identities of the drivers, and makes and models of the vehicles, especially if stolen. I don't know what the law is regarding whether law enforcement has permission to authorize disabling, and whether the company such as OnStar would immediately comply, or whether there would be a delay. I'm of two minds on the issue, because, of course, I would want the police/government to have such powers in this instance, but I also don't entirely trust our government with the powers it already has, let alone giving them even more.

bala

The town I live in is "quiet." It's a small town, small population and very few criminals and since they aren't many, the crimes committed would also be very few. Ever since I moved here I've never heard of high speed chases. Anyway, I think the best way to handle high speed chases to ensure the safety of everyone is, as Gabe says, to have a helicopter track the suspects. That way the suspects can't get away.
You can't deploy a heli for all high speed chases..:p
The cheapest way would be something that doesn't involve much of a damage,and still is cost effective,more like neutralizing the vehicle .

Diane Lane

@bala Here, it's usually the news helicopters that are tracking the vehicle, and broadcasting it live on TV (usually being recorded on my DVR), and I agree, I'm in favor of neutralizing or disabling the vehicle. There's a technique, where some departments (I think TX DPS, which is our state police, uses it) bump the vehicle to spin it out, but it's not done indiscriminately, they use it on certain parts of the vehicles, at times that are calculated to minimize danger. Spike strips can also be helpful, but criminals seem to be getting very crafty, and seem to be avoiding those more these days. As @JoanMcWench mentioned, it's possible to use OnStar, to disable a vehicle. I believe LoJack can do the same, and I'm sure there are other companies who provide the same or similar service, but I'm not sure whether a warrant is needed, or whether law enforcement has the authority to order this already.

Diane Lane

@Gabe I'd love to see a video of that, to compare it with how they're handled here in my area. Police here do have helicopters, but it's usually a news crew here that follows, and details it on TV to us, as it progresses. Apparently, our state police (TX DPS) allows snipers to fire upon those fleeing, under specific circumstances, but I don't know exactly what the details are on that.

bala

@bala Here, it's usually the news helicopters that are tracking the vehicle, and broadcasting it live on TV (usually being recorded on my DVR), and I agree, I'm in favor of neutralizing or disabling the vehicle. There's a technique, where some departments (I think TX DPS, which is our state police, uses it) bump the vehicle to spin it out, but it's not done indiscriminately, they use it on certain parts of the vehicles, at times that are calculated to minimize danger. Spike strips can also be helpful, but criminals seem to be getting very crafty, and seem to be avoiding those more these days. As @JoanMcWench mentioned, it's possible to use OnStar, to disable a vehicle. I believe LoJack can do the same, and I'm sure there are other companies who provide the same or similar service, but I'm not sure whether a warrant is needed, or whether law enforcement has the authority to order this already.
yeah,the something like a "tranquilizer" that brings any gearing to a neutral level,and no movement after that unless they take it out.It is electrically controlled.I saw it in F&F,else i wouldn't have known..:p