Homeowner Rescues Elderly Man That Drove Into Pool

Anthony

Super Moderator
carpool.jpg
A homeowner rescued an elderly man from a vehicle that drove through a backyard fence and plunged into a brand new swimming pool in Commack, Long Island, authorities said.
Police say the incident happened Wednesday around 3:45 p.m. Joseph DiDonato, 79, was driving his 2010 Acura SUV through the parking lot of Mayfair Foot Care when he mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brakes. DiDonato ended up in the deep end of in-ground pool.
John Bacchi, the 32-year-old homeowner, was in the backyard when the crash occurred.
Bacchi immediately jumped in, broke the driver's side window and pulled DiDonato out to safety.
No one else was in the vehicle or pool at the time.
Police say DiDonato was transported to Huntington Hospital for evaluation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gelsemium

Glad he saved him, but lately I've seen a lot of car crashes caused by elders, so I think they should not be allowed to drive.

Peninha

I agree, old people behind a wheel can cause destruction and lives, it's something hard to control though no?

SF13

I hope the old fella was alright afterward. I'm glad that the homeowner was able to help out. Stepping on the gas instead of the break could happen to anyone, but given his advanced age he might consider letting someone else do the driving in the future.