How can I keep the peace? Why would I need to move?

pandabear1991

I have mentioned in a previous thread about my unruly-well-known troublesome-neighbors. Despite my efforts to keep the peace and ignore their dogs destroying my property, I did end up pressing charges against them for disturbing the peace--I had an officer talk to them about the manner a few months ago because them and their traffic often plays window-throbbing-loud music at night and during the day. My neighbors ignored my efforts to have an officer request for them (I will not ask them directly, they have threatened me before as well as verbally trespassed me from their property) to be respectful of the disturbances, as it was keeping my night shift working husband awake during the day, and my 6 year old son being woken at night. They ignored this and played their music louder and more often instead. When I pressed charges, my neighbors retaliated and made up a version about an incident in which I have a video of.

Since the parents were not home when their 17 year old daughter verbally attacked me, in front of my child while we were cleaning our property in our back yard, they had no idea I had a video. When we got to court yesterday morning, the County Prosecutor took me and my husband outside of the court room (Justice Court) to talk to us. His exact words "You can drop these charges. These are petty charges and you will be looking at jail time because they are petty and the judge will find you both guilty..." First of all, I was never offered a court appointed attorney. I was told by the judge on the plea date that if I did not have an attorney I could represent myself. I did not hesitate to let this County Prosecutor know that I have video evidence of the disturbance and also of the incident in which I am defending myself against "simple assault against a minor." Of course, my neighbors made it a point to sit in the very back at the edge of the bench--you could see the man's head poking out the door to hear what was being said. Therefore, during the 10 minute break, he and his family had to make up another version of what happened, to try and have something to use against me.

Like I said, I offered to drop the charges and walk away if they did. Of course, them being the type of people they are (constantly looking for a fight) the charges could not be dropped. While making my statement about the music, and offering my evidence, the neighbors denied everything, and made statements (along with several other ones) about how they could not control what their traffic/company does in their vehicles. Also during all of this, both the man and woman consistently yelled, threatened, and spoke out of turn--to the point the man was arrested. He was asked 2 times to stop interrupting. When his 17 year old took the stand to give a statement, he became upset with her because she stated she was not around her brother when the incident happened, and that her Step-Dad was. Which he wasn't, but he was trying to feed her words while she was on the stand out of turn, the Step-Dad was arrested for contempt and his side was not heard. Although when he was brought back after ward, the judge made the statement that he had good reason to be upset. While defending myself, my video evidence was never allowed about the simple assault incident, and also my questions were responded to by the judge with "I don't answer those questions. Those are for an attorney to ask/know..."

Until today I had a clean record. I have a 6 year old son and now I have been found guilty for "simple assault against a minor?" I was told I could appeal, but what good would it do me if the judge was determined to find us both guilty from the get go for not "keeping the peace?" I don't know how much peace I can keep? I also have videos from simply walking outside to my car of them verbally harassing us (name calling/slander etc.)--which of course meant nothing because that's not what the charges were for. As far as the dogs go, the judge even said if they were caught on his property, he would shoot them. But, even when he said it, the neighbors made threats about what would happen if we did such. We are literally prisoners in our own home, have been since October of 2014. The judge also advised me and my husband to move.

What irritates me the most about this, is that of all the officers that could have been there in court that day who are familiar with what the disturbances, the only one that was there to defend the neighbors was the one who persisted to tell me that I was instigating situations with my neighbors (when he told me this, he had only responded to 1/12 of the calls). I live in a town of less than 4000. Everyone knows everyone and I am not from here. The neighbors made lots of statements about how officers are tired of responding to my "petty calls." They are also trying to press charges against me for "stalking and harassment." I have tried my best to keep the peace with these neighbors, and I feel at this point that if the same judge who recoged me for the simple assault would have been the one to handle the case, things would have been different. I don't have the money or the resources to move at this point. I really don't know what else to do either.

I am not that familiar with the laws in Mississippi or Itawamba County, but I have been researching all night trying to find legal help/aide. I do feel that if I go back to the Clerk's Office and ask for an Affidavit of Hardship for a Court Appointed Attorney, as well an appeal, it will get me nowhere. I do not feel the judge will approve and I am not sure if I can have an attorney at this point. I will be checking into this matter tomorrow, but I still feel hopeless in this situation.

Any advice would be amazing and greatly appreciated!

Rainman

Without an attorney it would be very hard to get any court injunctions that will force your neighbors to be more considerate.

After reading your post I think that the judge would rather side with your neighbors probably because of their "station." That means no matter what you do, you won't get justice. And since the can of worms has already been opened, I don't suppose you'll know peace for a really long time. It's better, IMHO, to move to another neighborhood.

Gabe

It's hard to give advice without all the facts, but if you had been arrested you would have been offered a public defender. Videos are not allowed into evidence in some states where both parties are aware of the recording, so if you openly videoed them it was okay, but not a hidden camera.

Simple Assault in Mississippi | Criminal Law

You can use the 'stand your ground' defense. If you were not offered a public defender then the case can be thrown out as due process has not been followed.You should get the case overturned.

Gelsemium

Don't get me started about neighbors, when we have bad ones it's something really complicated to deal with. I've though about moving sometimes too, but lately things seem to be calming down, so let's see.

JoanMcWench

Are you willing to invest the money into getting an attorney willing to make their lives a living hell so that you don't have to? Videotaping things is great move. I hope you have audio as well. However, the sad truth is even with all the evidence if you don't have someone to represent you it can easily be ignored. This sounds like an issue of familiarity. You look like a person who is complaining because they have nothing better to do & they look like people fed up with your complaining. Are you the only person in the neighbourhood who feels this way about this family? I assume others who have lived there longer have had issues? Maybe having a neighbourhood meeting about the situation & getting everyone involved could help make it clear that it's not just a personal feud?

kana_marie

Banned
I had horrible neighbors once. After a while of fighting I wanted to just make peace. I offered them a beer and talked for a few. It was fine after that. Sometimes, not having the chance to really get to know someone will make the situation more volatile. A few minutes of peaceful small talk maybe the only thing you need.

thegrey1

I am so sorry for you. I have been through crap like this, and that's all it is...CRAP! There are trashy people everywhere who just want their 15 minutes of drama at anyone's expense. Unfortunately this judge sounds like an idiot, who can't reason his way out of a paper bag. I like Gabe's idea of trying to have the case overturned. It sounds like your rights may have been violated. If your state does have a stand your ground law, use that. Good luck to you!

pandabear1991

Without an attorney it would be very hard to get any court injunctions that will force your neighbors to be more considerate.

After reading your post I think that the judge would rather side with your neighbors probably because of their "station." That means no matter what you do, you won't get justice. And since the can of worms has already been opened, I don't suppose you'll know peace for a really long time. It's better, IMHO, to move to another neighborhood.

You are quite right. As soon as this school year is over with I will be doing my best to move, even if it means a new county. It seems as though my neighbors have been in so much trouble that the system knows exactly how they are and are just trying to keep the neighbors from getting to carried away, by finding me guilty as well--after all, they threatened me and my family in front of the judge several times.

After talking to a well known attorney he agreed and gave me another suggestion--don't appeal (because if I do, they will retaliate again), just wait until the 30 days are up and come back to him and pay to expunge my record. He understands my situation and feels bad for my land owner, he feels they will have issues so long as these people live across the street. Regardless of what was right and how things should have went, I can't fix what happened in that court room, but I can move forward without involving the neighbors.

pandabear1991

It's hard to give advice without all the facts, but if you had been arrested you would have been offered a public defender. Videos are not allowed into evidence in some states where both parties are aware of the recording, so if you openly videoed them it was okay, but not a hidden camera.

You can use the 'stand your ground' defense. If you were not offered a public defender then the case can be thrown out as due process has not been followed.You should get the case overturned.

I was told that I could have an Attorney or to defend myself when we entered the plea date last month. I was not offered anything when I turned myself in and the judge recogged my arrest. Like I said, they didn't want to deal with the case, the judge and county prosecutor wanted charges from both parties dropped. I offered to drop mine, they wouldn't back down--so the judge really seemed like he didn't care who was right or wrong, he just wanted to end the pettiness.

The video evidence however is completely legal, especially since I only record where they can see me recording, and it is not always pointed directly at them. It's definitely not illegal to sound record without them knowing either (the attorney assured me of this) and so long as I am on my own property, I can record video or audio, whatever I want. In their eyes, its the same as having security or deer cams. Pretty sure the judge just knew she wasn't telling the truth as soon as the 17 year old gave her side, which did not match the report that was given 2 months ago.

At this point, the only thing I can do with this case is appeal it, and even for that I have to have an attorney to process the paperwork. I'm just gonna let it go, carry on with my life, and expunge my record as soon as possible.

Gabe

I hope you can expunge the record, but as I don't know the exact charge it's hard to say. I thought any arrest as an adult is kept on file, but as it varies state by state, it is hard. It's a shame you didn't take up the offer of a public defender, because if they gave you incorrect advice you could have sued them. I would always advise people to take legal counsel, because you have to ask for it once you give up that right. You are still entitled, but they only have to offer it once. There is always the option to fire them if you decide to defend yourself.

I would get the advice of other lawyers before you make a final decision, just to be on the safe side.

pandabear1991

Are you willing to invest the money into getting an attorney willing to make their lives a living hell so that you don't have to? Videotaping things is great move. I hope you have audio as well. However, the sad truth is even with all the evidence if you don't have someone to represent you it can easily be ignored. This sounds like an issue of familiarity. You look like a person who is complaining because they have nothing better to do & they look like people fed up with your complaining. Are you the only person in the neighbourhood who feels this way about this family? I assume others who have lived there longer have had issues? Maybe having a neighbourhood meeting about the situation & getting everyone involved could help make it clear that it's not just a personal feud?

This is what they are trying to make it out to be. Sadly, we are the only neighbors for about a quarter mile in each direction (us and them). These neighbors have had lots of problems with other neighbors in the past. They have been kicked from a few low income projects because of their aggressive behavior. Honestly, I could care less what they do, but once they start cursing and threatening in front of my kid the way they have, there's a problem.

Not to mention, their son came over to my house every day until the "dog incident" happened. What I mean is, their dogs are destroying my property (recorded and photoed digging holes in my front yard and forcing their bodies through my gates to the point we can no longer close them) and when I went to talk to the neighbors about what they planned to do to help keep this from happening any more, the woman of the house cursed me, threatened me, and trespassed me. I made a police report that night because of her threats, and because I would never harm a dog just to get it off my property. Until that day everything between us was fine.

The next day for school, their son started saying a bunch of stuff to my son (my husband and I were standing with our son when he was doing this at the bus stop) and I told my son to ignore him (of course my son had no idea what he was talking about, we didn't want the kids involved and had no intention of telling him). The boy got upset when I told my son to stop talking to him, ran inside crying, next thing you know the man of the house is outside in his underwear cursing and threatening in front of everyone (even a bus load of kids). I have been voluntarily taking my son to a different bus stop every morning since (Oct. 2014).

Bad thing is, this incident was only the start of their mouths and threats. Every time we go outside, even if its just to our car, one of the family members makes it a point to come outside to do something and start running their mouths. This is why I started recording when I went outside, even just to go to my mail box. Other people can say I am just complaining all they want, but I am usually a peaceful easy going person--and I have lived on my own with no issues since I was 18. Why would there be issues now?

All I want is for them to watch their kid when he is outside (I have been accused several times of saying something to the 5 year old, just for being outside at the same time he is), for them to be more respectful with their loud music, and for them to keep their dogs out of my fenced in yard. It would be different if everything was bad between us from the get go, but it hasn't been. They are doing their best to make it seem like we have been problem neighbors from the start (July 2014), but I have lots of pictures of our kids playing/eating dinner together in my house--their son came over every day by himself after school, he even sat with us to wait for the bus every morning.

The judge who recogged me and my neighbor's brother who is an officer (I met him and talked with him at the police station) both warned me during my recogg that the neighbors are in and out of the system constantly (every other month), and that they have no doubt I am having problems over something simple. Also that I will have to watch my back now, and keep and eye on our vehicles because the man will find ways to "get back" at us (pouring bleach in gas tank, disconnecting parts etc.). The brother officer also warned me of one of the biggest reasons they stay in trouble for which is how I know of the drug issues (aside from the high daily traffic).

Like I said, I feel like a prisoner in my home. I am trying to be a better person as a parent and teach my son that we can't let other's words/actions control who we are, but at the same time, it seems the more I ignore them when they do lash out, the more aggressive they become about their lashing.

pandabear1991

I had horrible neighbors once. After a while of fighting I wanted to just make peace. I offered them a beer and talked for a few. It was fine after that. Sometimes, not having the chance to really get to know someone will make the situation more volatile. A few minutes of peaceful small talk maybe the only thing you need.

I have tried this with the man (he offered me a joint but I declined), but the woman of the house seems to be where a lot of the problems are--she is the one that talks down and makes things up. At the same time, the man seems wishy washy. He says one thing one day, and then says/does another the next. They seem like they want the problems there so they have a reason to make other's feel insecure/belittle them. They don't want to do anything except threaten us and treat us like we are stupid. All of this because they didn't want to try and keep their dogs from destroying our property. It's sad really, but I don't know what more to do. Even in the court room she tried to deny that the 5 year old came over to play every day before the situation. Hard to deal with people who want to fight.

pandabear1991

I am so sorry for you. I have been through crap like this, and that's all it is...CRAP! There are trashy people everywhere who just want their 15 minutes of drama at anyone's expense. Unfortunately this judge sounds like an idiot, who can't reason his way out of a paper bag. I like Gabe's idea of trying to have the case overturned. It sounds like your rights may have been violated. If your state does have a stand your ground law, use that. Good luck to you!

Thanks! I hope things get better too, or that since the hubs and I are both working again, we can move by the end of the school year. Like I told Gabe, I don't recall being offered a public defender, but at this point I am assuming that is what a "County Prosecutor" is (I am new to all this, never been in trouble before). During the plea date I was told that I could have an attorney, or that I could represent myself if I could not afford one (not sure if this counts or not). But when looking into the appeal process, and what happens if they appeal their charges, I can have an attorney if I appeal. If they appeal, I will not be allowed an attorney (which I have no idea why but this is what the clerk told me) but this will be done in front of a different judge. There is also no legal aid nor hardship affidavit for criminal charges.

I may talk to a different attorney, but I do feel confident with the honesty of the one I talked to. From the way things have happened so far, expunging may be what's best to avoid further troubles with my neighbors. He also suggested to move as soon as possible, or to simply get a wooden privacy fence. Even he mentioned that any new neighbors would have problems and that it sounded like the system just cracked down on both sides to make sure that both parties were doing what they could to "keep the peace."

So far, things have been more peaceful. They don't come outside running their mouths anymore, and the music is no longer blaring. Can't say the same about the dogs however--we don't have county garbage cans so we have to use the smaller ones. If I put my garbage out front, I have a mess to clean within a matter of minutes. When I keep my trash out back to try and remedy this, they still get into my yard to tear into it. May just end up getting a pellet or air soft gun like the attorney suggested. The judge told me to shoot to kill them, and the neighbor instantly stated that when I did he would shoot my tires. But I agree with the attorney, it's not the dog's fault that the owners will not be more responsible/considerate and at least try to teach their dogs better (simple training or even a chicken/cow fence), therefore there should be no blood shed over ignorance.

But, needless to say, the county prosecutor who is also running for congress (Mills) will not have my vote. If he feels that these petty cases are not worth his time, then why would I want to pay him to only deal with the "big dogs." Crimes are crimes, Justice Court is the first step, and they should be dealt with whole heartedly regardless of how petty. He would not take into account all of the other incidents, or the fact that my neighbors have an extensive history that he and the judge are well aware of. In-fact, he assured me before our case was presented that if the charges could not be dropped, everyone would be found guilty because they are so petty. Why would I vote for this man to be a member of Congress? I want someone who cares in Congress, not someone who feels that "petty cases" should be ignored.

Gelsemium

That is the thing, what is worse for us, to face the problem and all the nightmare that brings along or just try to live with it. Also, we can try to move, but how do we know that we won't face a similar situation?

Profit5500

Hopefully things would get better for you with the whole neighbor situation. I wish I could knock the wind out those neighbors for you but I'll end up in jail.

mairj23

If it gets that bad, I would just move if I'm not buying the house that I'm in. If things get confrontational after all of the complaints you've made against them to the police and you get physically hurt, file a law suit against the police for not enforcing the law. I've never had neighbors that bad but I've had some bad ones before, so I know what you mean.

Gabe

Thanks! I hope things get better too, or that since the hubs and I are both working again, we can move by the end of the school year. Like I told Gabe, I don't recall being offered a public defender, but at this point I am assuming that is what a "County Prosecutor" is (I am new to all this, never been in trouble before). During the plea date I was told that I could have an attorney, or that I could represent myself if I could not afford one (not sure if this counts or not). But when looking into the appeal process, and what happens if they appeal their charges, I can have an attorney if I appeal. If they appeal, I will not be allowed an attorney (which I have no idea why but this is what the clerk told me) but this will be done in front of a different judge. There is also no legal aid nor hardship affidavit for criminal charges.

That is when they offered you a public defender. The county prosecutor is not on your side. They make plea bargains with your attorney and if you defend yourself, you.

If they appeal you pay for your own representation, you are only allowed a public defender if you are arrested and charged. At any point up to sentencing you are allowed to have a public defender at no charge. Appeals are different. Why did you turn down the offer of an attorney? They will ask you that. It depends on the sequence of events if the prosecutor spoke to you before you were offered an attorney or not. This matters, so think carefully, because the case can be thrown out if the prosecutor violated due process. Basically they should not be giving you advice or offering a deal unless you have turned down the offer of a public defender.

You could apply for an injunction against them so they are not allowed to speak tor to come within so far from you.

pandabear1991

Why did you turn down the offer of an attorney? They will ask you that. It depends on the sequence of events if the prosecutor spoke to you before you were offered an attorney or not. This matters, so think carefully, because the case can be thrown out if the prosecutor violated due process. Basically they should not be giving you advice or offering a deal unless you have turned down the offer of a public defender.

You could apply for an injunction against them so they are not allowed to speak tor to come within so far from you.

"If you cannot afford your own attorney, you may represent yourself." This was stated from the judge during my plea date on Feb 24th. The prosecutor never spoke to me until both parties were present to give a hearing last week (March 24th). Seriously could not afford one though. At the time I had pressed the charges against them for Disturbing the Peace, my husband was working a good job and an attorney was affordable. He lost his job about a week after we found out the judge had signed the warrant, which is the day they pressed charges against me out of retaliation. Really irritates me though because the Sheriff's department insisted that I press charges, then all of a sudden the one Officer who seems to know my neighbors well got involved and everything changed.

I am assuming at this point that by agreeing to represent myself, I turned down the offer for a public defender.

pandabear1991

That is the thing, what is worse for us, to face the problem and all the nightmare that brings along or just try to live with it. Also, we can try to move, but how do we know that we won't face a similar situation?

This is something I am having to come to terms with. Although I am sure we would have no problems at this point with our neighbors if their dogs were not caught destroying my property, it is the fact that they are trying to push our buttons, bully us, and make us feel unwanted in our own home. Not to mention, a majority of the county I live in seems a bit "loud and proud" in this manor. I am in no way suggesting that they are wrong for their way of living, but I am sure that if this were the other way around and it was my dog(s) destroying their property, my dog(s) would have been gone/dead/injured by their hands a long time ago.

I suppose the situation can get worst. For now all I can do is wait it out, save what I can, and hope I have enough to successfully move by June. The judge never fined us--however he did place a 30 day hold on the sentence. He warned that whoever broke it would have 30 days in jail. I am hoping that once this 30 day period is up, things do not get worst or go back to the way they were.

pandabear1991

Hopefully things would get better for you with the whole neighbor situation. I wish I could knock the wind out those neighbors for you but I'll end up in jail.

I appreciate your offer <3 but I would never want someone to defend me with such risks. However, I dunno about jail? To be honest, the judge and prosecutor seemed as if they would rather us "duke it out in the street" than to call an officer out, or to bring the pettiness to court. The attorney I talked to even felt ashamed in agreeing with the fact that some of our Justice Departments are like this--and there is not a whole lot that can be done about without the right money and right attorney.

Gotta love how money controls everything :/