How do cops feel if someone drops off food as a thank you?

JoanMcWench

As far as my experience is concerned, if I drop off cookies to my local fire department they are nothing but sunshine & hot smiles about trying them. However, when I try to drop off cookies to my local police department, if I don't know the intake officer (or someone in earshot of the exchange) I'm given suspicious looks or denials. Now I get it. It's a dangerous job & there may even be elements of 'bribery' they're concerned about. But they're cookies or cake for the love of all things sweet.

missbishi

I don't think it's bribery that they're concerned about. I know your cookies are given with the best of intentions but there are a lot of nutters out there and food dropped off as a "thank you" could be viewed by the police as potentially dangerous. The public have a very favorable view of firefighters so it's unlikely anyone would want to poison them, but you could easily see why someone might want to try and poison a cop.

If I remember correctly it is against the rules for many police departments to accept any form of gift from the public, as it could lead to at least favoritism and the worst special treatment

Patrick

As stated, bribery/favoritism is frowned upon when it comes to the law, and the personnel involved in upholding it. While you have good intentions in offering food it could be viewed in a negative light by many onlookers. I think the best way to show gratitude to your local police is by being polite and courteous, and wishing them a good day whenever you run into them.

thegrey1

I work in retail for crying out loud, and we are not allowed to accept even the smalest token of appreciation from our customers. Of course the police can't accept cookies! I mean it's a nice gesture but there is always the "bribery" aspect and as a previous poster pointed out, you might be in the poisoning business.

JoanMcWench

I don't think it's bribery that they're concerned about. I know your cookies are given with the best of intentions but there are a lot of nutters out there and food dropped off as a "thank you" could be viewed by the police as potentially dangerous. The public have a very favorable view of firefighters so it's unlikely anyone would want to poison them, but you could easily see why someone might want to try and poison a cop.

You're right it IS unlikely that someone would poison a firefighter but it's still possible. Whether the majourity of people like them or not, as you mentioned, there are still nutters out there. I know it's potentially dangerous but I feel like way back when it would have been viewed with less suspicious eyes. And, honestly, how often have you heard about the police being poisoned by gift cakes & cookies? It's just a sad thing.

marcamm

I think that cops should qualify the person giving the "gift" and not just flat-out reject or ignore them. A random guy who just drops out something on their desk is pretty suspicious and they should be cautious in receiving or opening them, but an acquaintance or a former civilian just saying thanks for a job well done, I think that's pretty safe. Cops deserve gifts and treats once in a while... And I'm no cop; just saying just in case I give the wrong impression. Haha.

Profit5500

As far as my experience is concerned, if I drop off cookies to my local fire department they are nothing but sunshine & hot smiles about trying them. However, when I try to drop off cookies to my local police department, if I don't know the intake officer (or someone in earshot of the exchange) I'm given suspicious looks or denials. Now I get it. It's a dangerous job & there may even be elements of 'bribery' they're concerned about. But they're cookies or cake for the love of all things sweet.
The only problem I would have is if the cops think you are trying to bribe them. I would like to give them a thank you for their service. Just have to be cautious about giving them something in person.