How do police feel when they have to move on a homeless person?

Gabe

I see it especially in summer time when police move people off benches or from sidewalks. How does it feel, because they have nowhere else to go and they aren't doing any harm, but I know there is pressure to make somewhere 'look' attractive, especially the parks. What law are they breaking if any? I know it can vary from state to state and also where they are, but generally can you only arrest them if they refuse?

rubydust

I would imagine I would find it difficult to have to do that, if they were doing no harm and not causing a nuisance. Especially since a fair proportion of homeless people are ex military. They've risked life and limb to serve their country and have little support when they leave the forces. I would be ashamed to have to move them on.

I would find it hard to be an officer in general, because my natural instinct is to help everyone, and in so many circumstances, as with homelessness, there is so little you can do.

Gabe

I do think some are sympathetic and want to help them out and maybe recommend shelters to them. I know in tourist areas the Mayors and officials want a place to look attractive to tourists and do ask the police to move people from benches and the city center early in the morning, but where else can they go?Is it morally right or does it count as loitering. Apparently it is only an offense if they are begging, but if they are sitting there reading a book with their cart they aren't doing any harm are they?

Rainman

What law are they breaking if any? I know it can vary from state to state and also where they are, but generally can you only arrest them if they refuse?
Vagrancy still considered a crime but since constitutionally being poor isn't a crime arresting a vagrant/homeless person will be a waste of time since the courts will them go free anyway. But Municipalities have passed their own laws which make it illegal for homeless people to stay around parks for obvious reasons. So should homeless people be unwilling to move when cops demand that they do, then they can be arrested, and imprisoned.

missbishi

I'm pretty sure that the majority of cops don't like having to do this at all. I'm sure that cops know only too well the problems that the homeless face and feel frustrated that there is nothing they can realistically do other than move people along.

Lizel

I'm sure that they don't like doing it. Imagine doing that on their place...how would you feel?
It would be awkward to do so for me and I would also feel pity for those homeless people.

JoanMcWench

I don't think anyone likes doing this but sometimes it's something that has to be done. Like, say, panhandling outside a business or being disorderly. There's a consequence that comes with doing things of this nature.

I also agree with what someone else said. I have seen, once or twice, police officers giving the homeless suggestions for places to stay. Especially in the winter