How long to graduate

JoshPosh

Banned
How long does the entire process take to graduate? If I was to enter the academy today, when will I be able to walk out of there as a official police officer?

Profit5500

You have to ask the police department you are applying for. If they say it is 8 months then you have to go through those months. If you were in the military and served this would make the academy a lot smoother. I would try and contact the police department and go in person to see.

shilpa123

It changes from location to location and I think it all changes according to what graduation you have done till now. I think it is better to enquire about it from the local police academy. I believe that it would be at least a year until it is done. It takes some time.

mrsbright

Should this be not regulated to have at least a minimum? I think in Germany, it's something like 2 and a half year of police academy, and the instructors say it is not enough and they have to shorten many things in the program! I don't understand how the standard can be so short and so variable.

shilpa123

I believe it takes at least two years for you to graduate. I believe that it is good enough time for you to learn quite a lot of things and live a good professional life.

laurelbell85

I live in Florida and a friend of mine who went through the academy said it took him about 18 months. A lot of locations are requiring at least a 2 year degree and the police academy as requirements to be a police officer. I would definitely look into your local police district and see what rules and regulations they have in order for you to become a sworn in police officer! Best of luck!!

shilpa123

I do believe that graduating from a police department depends on the police department a person is training in. Most of them finish training within two years. Some take even less.

oraclemay

Two years sounds like a good amount of time to get proper training to be a police officer. Wherever you are located you will find the traing time is much the same.

Profit5500

I believe it takes at least two years for you to graduate. I believe that it is good enough time for you to learn quite a lot of things and live a good professional life.
The good part about the academy is that they pay while you are there which is a monthly salary. You do learn a lot of things while there. The good thing is that when you do get out then you are now licensed to be a police officer.

Gelsemium

I didn't knew about that Profit, that is something great! So basically you are receiving training and at the same time you're getting paid? That is why so many people want to become a police officer.

Profit5500

I didn't knew about that Profit, that is something great! So basically you are receiving training and at the same time you're getting paid? That is why so many people want to become a police officer.
Yes and it is a monthly salary you get while being at the academy. I just thought that is a good benefit while you are there at the academy. Not to mention they do feed you three times a day so eat healthy while you are there.

Gelsemium

lol, so feeding is important too. Actually up to this point I never knew why so many people applied, but in fact you're being paid while trained to perform a job, it can't get much better than that.

Profit5500

lol, so feeding is important too. Actually up to this point I never knew why so many people applied, but in fact you're being paid while trained to perform a job, it can't get much better than that.
Yeah since you are staying at an academy it makes sense for them to do that. You have to eat since you are doing a lot of physical activity. You also have to monitor what you eat since you do not want to pass gas while running laps.

Gelsemium

That's true, nutrition is really important, if we are not eating properly we will not perform well. Either cases I think they just eat there to keep focused, that's the main reason I believe.

dyanmarie25

Here in my country, Philippines, there is really a specific course for aspiring cops. It's called Bachelor of Science in Criminology which is a four-year college degree program.