How much does someone have to go over the speed limit for you to pull them over?

xcredence

I was just wondering cause I asked a police officer once and he said that if someone is 6 mph or more he'd pull them over, otherwise he would let them go on their way. I was just curious what is the standard? Or if someone is just 2 mph over would you pull him over?

JoanMcWench

It depends on the police officer & if they're concerned about 'other things'. I've been in one or two 'suspicious' cars in my day & they pulled us over going allegedly one mile over the speed limit. I thought he was joking so I made a joke. That time making a joke was really not the right move. :rolleyes:

calicer1996

Joan, one simply does not crack jokes with a cop! ;)
And yes, you are right in saying that it varies from cop to cop. Some are way more rigid and might pull you over if you even went a hair over the limit.

JoanMcWench

That's my go to when dealing with police. Speaking to them like normal people & trying to cheer them up. Normally it works really well for me. I just don't think I was on my A game with that situation. We were put in the back of the police car. lol He was having a bad day.

xcredence

Yeah! I've had the fortune of never having problems with any of the police officers. I see what you mean about them pulling you over for "speeding" but really just want to see if you have drugs or anything of the like! I never really thought about that to be honest. I'm not good at smooth talking my way out of situations though.

vash

Here in Michigan I thought the unwritten rule was you are fine as long as you are within 10mph above the speed limit. Although I believe it is also depended on the mood of the cop on the scene. More than a few times suddenly all the cars in front of me slowed down only then I noticed there was a police car parked there. :p When everyone is speeding, who is he going to stop?

Whitewolf2578

Yeah this happened to me the other day. I wasn't really thinking about the fact the speed limit was 25 through this place, because who will notice if I go 30, that shouldn't be a big deal. Honestly I have no clue how fast I was going. But all of a sudden I got pulled over and he was like "Do you know why I pulled you over" I guess I had that innocent face, because I had no idea how fast I had been going. He ran my stuff and I guess because I have never had a ticket in my life, he gave me a warning. Like everyone says it depends on the Police Officer and the Area you are currently in. Here in Montana that are very strict at how fast you go, which is nice.