How to behave at traffic stops in the US?

JulianWilliams

I know US cops are a little jumpy, probably due to guns being everywhere in the US, and was wondering, are there any official guidelines about what to do and what to not do when you're being stopped for a routine traffic stop?

js85

I've only been pulled over twice (speeding, and my front plate not being mounted but it was in my windshield which the police officer saw afterwards), and both times I've remained calm. I was taught to never move or reach for anything until the police officer approached my vehicle. I didn't grab for a purse, wallet, or glove box. I kept my hands on the wheel and waited until he approached then made sure he knew when I was grabbing for what. I don't know if that's over-doing it, but I would rather make it more comfortable for the officer than make them question my intentions. :)

Kittyworker

I think you should pretty much behave the same way everywhere. Remain clam, if the police see you are jumpy they may suspect something else. Be respectful, If you are belligerent theres no chance at all the cop will let you off with a warning, be respectful and they might. Be Patient, it may take the cop awhile but if you are acting antsy it may lead them to taking even longer just to annoy you.

DancingLady

Just be calm and polite, keep your hands on the wheel until they ask you to show them your ID. That way there is no question in the officer's mind that you are fully cooperating and not making any threatening moves. I would say tell the officer where your ID is located (ie it's in my wallet in my purse which is on the floor) before reaching for the item, just to make the sure the officer knows exactly what is going on and.

Profit5500

Well this is something you should be able to handle accordingly depending on how you behave. If I were to get pulled over by the cops I would play it safe. You cannot get by with being a jerk to them. Police have the authority and the ones this day in age do not need to be nice.

Rosyrain

I think the best way to deal with a traffic stop is to be calm and respectful, police are human beings too and don't deserve you being rude to them because they are the law. You did something wrong if you get pulled over, so the best thing is just to own up to it and talk it over. I also agree that you should not reach for anything until you are directed to do so. The offer does not know what might be hiding in your vehicle. Officers need to keep their own safety in mind.

ally79

I would pull over safely and turn on my hazard lights. Then I would sit in the car with my hands on the wheel and the window cracked. I would wait for the officer to ask to see my license and registration and calmly inform him that I am a concealed carry holder and that my weapon is hot and located on my right hip. Then we will go from there.

LitoLawless

I think that the best thing you can do is cooperate. It's just one of those things that you want over as fast as possible. If I ever got stopped I would just answer all the questions asked, and present the information asked for because I just want to go on about my business.