I am very sore the following day

mclains

Hi guys, how is everybody doing? I recently joined my local gym and started to workout. I got to admit that I am very sore the following day. What can you suggest that I do to eliminate the soreness? I really need to get back in shape. Thanks in advance.

Rob93FL

I know that this is an old thread, but I figured I'd still answer it on the off chance that you're still on this site. What you're experiencing is called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and it's perfectly normal. When you first start working out, you're going to be incredibly sore the next day. Over time, your body will become used to the movements and the soreness will diminish until it's just background soreness. It's basically just a waiting game. You should only experience slight soreness once you've gotten through the first week or two.

Gelsemium

I'd go for proper eating and a magnesium supplement, that makes the soreness go away, it has worked for me. ;)

Determined2014

I would suggest that before you start working out be sure to stretch your whole body, then also after the work out stretch again, then lastly take a hot shower, that is what I do and it helps me out.

Rob93FL

I would suggest that before you start working out be sure to stretch your whole body, then also after the work out stretch again, then lastly take a hot shower, that is what I do and it helps me out.

In addition to stretching and a hot shower, make sure to do cardio. When you do cardio, your heart pumps blood throughout your body and into your muscles. Blood carries the oxygen and nutrients that your muscles need for recovery, so doing cardio will speed up the recovery process.

Whitewolf2578

Well, what I usually do to avoid pain the next day is after I work out I take Whey Protein. I am not sure if this works for everyone, but I know it works for me.