edhman81

I failed a polygraph during an application process. I did tell them the truth and had nothing to hide. What is going to happen when I get to the background investigation stage for another department and they deny me for failing the previous poly test. What's the best way to address this?

cmirmann

It happen to me also, the next department I went to asked my opinion on why I didn't get hired. I told them that I didn't get thru because I failed my poly. They gave me the poly, I passed and got hired.

Whitewolf2578

Lol they really need to get rid of the poly test. There are too many good people failing because they are nervous about it. They ask some really weird questions too. I think eventually technology will catch up and they will hopefully get rid of it. Some people are able to lie their way through it anyway resulting is someone who ends up being a "Crooked" Cop.

primalclaws1974

I believe polygraphs should be banned completely, and not used in any official capacity whatsoever. They are notoriously unreliable, and cannot be used in court. I think it is really wrong that businesses, background check institutions, and police will use it against you if you fail, but practically ignore the results if you pass.

SamClemensMT

My friend I don't think there is anything you can do about this. I never have been a fan of lie detector test. They have too many flaws to be used as proper vetting tools. Hopefully the department you applied to will someday do away with them. Unfortunately that won't help you. If you know you were being truthful you should apply elsewhere and keep your dream of becoming a police officer alive.

missbishi

Why on earth do they still use this? It is known to be wildly inaccurate. You are nervous when you go to an interview anyway and that can often have an effect on the results. There is only one effective "truth teller" in my opinion, and that is wine! Sadly, I can't see having a few glasses being used as an interview tactic any time soon!

Shimus

This is no different then any other false positive failures, like sesame/poppy seeds passing for some type of opiate(or whatever it was called). We shouldn't rely on tests for chemicals and polygraphs for lying or truths. We should hire person-to-person, or fail person-to-person and get the axe. Using intermediaries starts to get funky after awhile, and it seems impersonable to me.

Rosyrain

Polygraph can give false readings if someone is nervous or scared to begin with, much like false confessions. It is not unheard of for someone to confess to something if they feel that it is the only way to get out of a situation. If you did give truthful answers and still failed, you should appeal the test and have someone else administer it again.

dyanmarie25

Polygraph is never accurate. I don't know why it is still being used for the testing process when in fact, it really couldn't detect lies. Anyone could fool it.

JoanMcWench

It could have more to do with you being nervous than it has to do with you lying. I would ask if I could take the test again. I'm sure you're not the first person this has happened to. As reflected by one of the responses above.

Gelsemium

I don't really get the importance of the polygraph, even more when we know that there are ways to cheat it. Either cases, if it's not reliable we should not depend on it to be admitted or not.

jperd21

I agree. They are very flawed, and can be tricked or produce false results easily. I would certainly appeal and take the test again. There's no reason a potential career should be offset by a flawed process. Best of luck to you!

wahmed

I really think they need to scrap this. Anything can give this a false reading especially being nervous. Anyone is bound to be nervous and apprehensive in a situation where job acceptance is bases on it.