If local police cannot handle a situation, who do they call for help?

primalclaws1974

I am not talking about a major incident like Ferguson. I mean a small town that might only have one or two officers on at a time. If the situation is too big to handle, do they call the Sheriff's department? Is the State police brought in? Do they call in reserve officers that may be off-duty, but live close? I know in my town of 10,000, 2-3 cars are out at all times, but there are more police on-duty, in the police station. These people can go out and help. But in a very small town, this is not going to be available.

haitch

I imagine that it would be very rare to have to few officers in only a small town (which generally have very low crime rates). However in the case usually back up will be called from the nearest place or if applicable the fire service could be called.

bala

As far as i have heard,they mostly call for backup from their own dept or they inform the ones up in the hierarchy to send some spl forces or some sort of backup.Mostly backup officers are somehow easily found in the vicinity.Maybe they keep patrolling all areas.

Kittyworker

In the United States if local police can't handle a situation they will call the State Police. Now if the State police cant handle a situation they have 2 more options. They can request that the Governor call for the National Guard in the event that its a riot or some other violent offence involving a lot of people, or they can call on the FBI to assist if they simply don't have the resources that are needed to properly investigate something.

musicmonster

It depends how huge the situation is obviously. If it is a huge operation like drug trafficking, then maybe people could report it to the FBI or some agency higher than the local police. Either way, that would still have to go through the local police and they will be the ones making a decision.