If you could cure a disease/ailment, what would it be?

IshieVonDyson

As much as I would love for cures for cancer, AIDS, and the like to be found within my lifetime… I think I’d have to go with depression/other mental disorders as well, especially as they are quite insidious. People are becoming more aware of how serious they can be, which is great, but for some there’s still a sense of shame involved. And if left untreated or unmanaged, such mental conditions can be fatal as more apparent ailments can.

katherine25

I would have to say cancer as well, no personal ties to cancer it just seems that its a more dominant disease than others these days.

calicer1996

Easy. I would dig up the statistics as to which disease is the most dominant one and rampaging throughout the world and end that disease.
If death is considered a disease, I would cure that too.
~Life is an STD, mortality rate = 100%~

mrsbright

Naja. "Cancer" is a generic name, but I don't think that it's considered to be all just one disease -- when they find "cures" for cancer, they usually do so for one specific kind. Though curing cancer would not be bad.

Otherwise, curing leukemia or curing depression would also be cool. Darn.

missbishi

I'd love to be able to make missing limbs grow back. I know that prosthetics can be fantastic these days and we'll be seeing transplants in the near future but it would be so cool to make this happen.

mrsbright

As much as I would love for cures for cancer, AIDS, and the like to be found within my lifetime… I think I’d have to go with depression/other mental disorders as well, especially as they are quite insidious. People are becoming more aware of how serious they can be, which is great, but for some there’s still a sense of shame involved. And if left untreated or unmanaged, such mental conditions can be fatal as more apparent ailments can.

yes! I mean, the thing with cancer is that it sucks hard, right? But on the other side, it usually rallies a lot of support and people going through it many times have this "awakening" of what really matters in life. I'm not saying it's worth the illness -- but compared to that, depression usually isolates people, eats them from the inside, and many people just are too ignorant to offer real support, offering disdain instead ("Just cheer up already and get over your moods!")

Shimus

Cancer. I've lost people I've cared about to it, or watched them lose pieces of themselves until they expired. It's never a good site. I imagine HIV/AIDS to be quite the same way, so it kind of sucks to make a decision. I'd get rid of them both.

I guess I'm biased since I've experienced loss on this scale. Or I might have said AIDs because at least cancer goes into remission at points. AIDs you're kinda just stuck with.

bala

Easy. I would dig up the statistics as to which disease is the most dominant one and rampaging throughout the world and end that disease.
If death is considered a disease, I would cure that too.
~Life is an STD, mortality rate = 100%~
Smarty pants :p :p
but you are not taking into account the pain people endure for the lesser % diseases right ?.I mean that is way too painful and eats up your life as such.Either way.Good choice.:)

IshieVonDyson

yes! I mean, the thing with cancer is that it sucks hard, right? But on the other side, it usually rallies a lot of support and people going through it many times have this "awakening" of what really matters in life. I'm not saying it's worth the illness -- but compared to that, depression usually isolates people, eats them from the inside, and many people just are too ignorant to offer real support, offering disdain instead ("Just cheer up already and get over your moods!")

Agreed. And for some, the whole “just get over it†treatment can discourage them from seeking help because they’ve been made to feel ashamed for thinking they might need assistance. When, more often than not, they actually do need help of some sort. It can be such a vicious cycle.

Peachdejour

I would cure Chiari Malformation because I would really rather not have a brain surgery this year! So many rare diseases without cures. We need more scientists!