Is enforcing strict speed limit rules increasing the number of accidents?

JulianWilliams

I've read somewhere that enforcing strict speed limit rules is actually increasing the number of accidents. I suppose it makes sense, because if you can get a fine of hundreds of dollars for going a mile over the speed limit you're going to spend your time looking at your speedometer instead of the road, and that's not good for road safety.

Muthoni

I do not think that enforcing the speed limit will increase accidents. It will only be difficult when it is first introduced but people will get used to it. I think that more accidents would occur if people were allowed to drive at the speed they desire. Some will fly off the road while others will claw to their destination.

GlacialDoom

I certainly don't think so. It's quite the opposite, really. If people are not confined by a speed limit, you will always see people driving fast in areas they shouldn't be, because they simply don't know that up ahead is a dangerous turn or something. Speed limits help save lives, not the opposite.

missbishi

I don't think so. Speed limits are there for a reason and there are plenty of people who would welcome the chance to tear about as fast as they can. I do think that going too slow can cause accidents too, particularly with regards to overtaking, tailgating etc.