Is it harder to take down a woman, child, etc?

primalclaws1974

I was wondering if it is harder or different for a policeperson to use force on a kid, woman, elderly person, etc.? The police are probably used to subduing men, but these other people are certainly more rare. Do you feel bad when a 12-year-old or an old lady yells, "You're hurting me?". Or have you hardened to the job you have to do?

pattycake

I was wondering if it is harder or different for a policeperson to use force on a kid, woman, elderly person, etc.? The police are probably used to subduing men, but these are other people are certainly more rare. Do you feel bad when a 12-year-old or an old lady yells, "You're hurting me?". Or have you hardened to the job you have to do?

It doesn't matter whose who. Some cops will shoot a pregnant woman or one holding a baby. People just don't care about life anymore. They're pissed off and don't mind getting hostile on anybody. Look at how people rough up little kids. There's people who actually kill infants for crying. A lot of people just don't care about life anymore.

laurelbell85

It doesn't matter whose who. Some cops will shoot a pregnant woman or one holding a baby. People just don't care about life anymore. They're pissed off and don't mind getting hostile on anybody. Look at how people rough up little kids. There's people who actually kill infants for crying. A lot of people just don't care about life anymore.

Yeah, some police officers seem like they can be ruthless! It doesn't matter if you are male, female, child, grandparent, etc. They have that badge...they have that "power." I have only met a handful of cops that were nice to me. All the others are on some kind of power trip. I would hope they wouldn't use as much force with a female, elderly, or child...but you never know.

primalclaws1974

Although I know there are people that do the things you have said, I think you are generalizing on humanity as a whole, and not zeroing in on police officers. Yes, some police have gotten to the point in their careers/lives, that they don't take precautions when it comes to violence, but my opinion is that is not the majority. I am still looking for an answer to my question from someone who is, or once was in law-enforcement. Are "innocents" more difficult to subdue?

Patrick

I think some policemen exercise more caution when it comes to women and children. In this case you could argue that there is a bit of a double standard, since women could allege molestation or sexual assault, police are typically obliged to treat them with more respect and care.

pattycake

You are right that it's all about power tripping. So it would be best and safest if we didn't assume that anyone whether they're a cop or not, would be gentler with an elderly person, woman, or child. The way I see it, a lot of people are actually gentler with those who are churlish and power tripping. People have everything backwards. So never walk into that blindfolded.

Rainman

The media has sullied the reputation of the police to the point where everyone thinks police just are a violent bunch. No officer wants to resort to the use of violence when making an arrest. When a suspect resists arrest then reasonable force is used to subdue them. To answer the OP's question, yeah it's hard for most cops to take down a woman or child. Their handling will be less violent if force must at all be used.

greensat

I agree with everything that everyone here has posted but to look at it from a different perspective, maybe the cops are "bored" and just want to experience some fun by using the excuse of "doing their work" to beat down and to over-kill their task or assignment.

laurelbell85

I say majority because where I am from...it is nothing but rude cops and cops that thing they are bigger and better than everyone. Orlando, Casselberry, Winter Park, Longwood, ESPECIALLY Altamonte...these cops around me are just horrible. I've met a handful of them. I have even walked up to cops just standing around to ask them a question and got blown off. The world as we know it is going down the tubes. People shooting infants for crying too much, choking someone for SUPPOSEDLY selling cigarettes, I mean, come on!