Is it illegal for a felon to own an air rifle?

tbrannon44

I would think an air rifle should be okay because you don't need a license to own one. But to make sure you should contact your local PD and ask them,

ReDGuNNeR

An air rifle is generally not considered a "firearm" in US jurisdicitons but all it takes an extreme set of circumstances for a toy to turn into a big headache. I would not change the orange tip even when using it in a secluded area because you never know who's watching.... A felon doesn't need any more unnecessary trouble!

bala

An air rifle is a never a fire arm and it is completely legal to own one.I recount of an instance where a guy was shot dead outside walmarts,when the cops mistook him for owning a fire-arm.It sometimes calls for uninvited trouble.Never take the orange tip off,lest you will be caught up in trouble.

Profit5500

I would just treat the air gun as a real gun knowing how edgy police officers are nowadays. I would just leave that orange tip on just to not get killed by them. I mean it is a air rifle but you still have to be careful with it.

ReDGuNNeR

Yeah, you can put an eye out or something! Those darn pellets hurt actually, even if they are classified as "airsoft". Some of the more expensive weapons look and operate 1:1 to a real firearm, such as the ones that work off of pneumatic power. Very cool toys that aren't considered firearms but again, no one needs any unneeded trouble for holding something that only looks suspicious upon first glance.

bala

Yeah, you can put an eye out or something! Those darn pellets hurt actually, even if they are classified as "airsoft". Some of the more expensive weapons look and operate 1:1 to a real firearm, such as the ones that work off of pneumatic power. Very cool toys that aren't considered firearms but again, no one needs any unneeded trouble for holding something that only looks suspicious upon first glance.
I completely back you up,air rifles only bring about an air of suspicion right at first.
The pneumatic has so much power that for every shot of full power you need to pump it 10 times with the pumping handle.I would prefer a Co2 powered personally.ANything of this brings unwanted attention then..:p

Rainman

A regular gun can be used to fire a rubber bullet. And riot guns too. But I doubt if anyone who is not a law enforcer will be allowed to buy a riot gun. As for owning a gun which can be used to fire rubber bullets [since it's a real gun we are talking about] the legality would depend on the local jurisdiction.