Is it legal to drive a vehicle with a snake around your neck?

Popcorn365

I know this sounds like a crazy questions but my daughter's father recently dropped our daughter off from visitation with a python around his neck...and now that he knows i'm bothered by it, is continuing to do this. This has to be illegal, right??

Teens In Crisis

I'm not sure why it would be illegal? Because you don't like it? If the animal is legal in your state, not a danger to the general public, how is it any different than driving around with a dog in your car?

Perhaps having it "around the neck" might be frowned upon because of the chance for constriction while driving, but once the vehicle is stopped, that probably don't matter much.

januz101

Im not sure whether driving with a snake in your neck is legal or not. Lets go down to the main problem instead, you are bothered with the snake. Snake nowadays are considered pets so I guess taking one for a ride posses no legal issues at all. But if the snake however is treated poorly or is in a condition wherein its safety is disregarded then you can probably file a complaint under Animal Protection Law.

Popcorn365

I would think given the fact that it is loose in the car poses a driving hazard. Driving with one around the neck just seems reckless when you have a 5 year old in the car with you. If it constricts or gets loose down by the pedals....you'd be a bit distracted and be posing a threat to not only the passengers in your car but others driving on the road.

I'm fine with driving with a dog in your car as long as it's not sitting on your lap if you are the driver.

Popcorn365

I don't have an issue with snakes at all. I don't mind them as pet's but around the neck while operating a vehicle seems very reckless. It's small enough to get down by the pedals and would be a huge distraction while driving a car. So no, snakes are not the issue. Driving with one around your neck is!

januz101

I guess you can file a complaint for that. If you put it that way, that he is driving under hazardous condition then it is a ground for your complaint. But sanctions are only minimal and there is a chance that it will be dismissed if he proves it otherwise. But you have a point there. Its just a matter of how concrete your arguement is.

DancingLady

I don't know that there is any law about that as I'm sure it is a pretty rare occurance, snakes aren't very popular pets after all. I think it is not very responsible because it is a distraction risk and I do think snakes are a potential danger as it could decide to squeeze if it felt like it.

Patrick

Well I can see how it could be a hazard if around the neck, it could fall under reckless driving endangering other road users. If the snake was simply in the back seat I think it's perfectly legal.

camsdad

I think it would also be a distraction to other drivers. I would try my hardest to stay focused on the road, but there would be a guy/gal driving next to me with a snake around his neck. By making yourself a spectacle on the road I don't think it would be cool to do, maybe not illegal but like the others said you're also putting yourself at risk.

mimsee

Honestly, I don't think anybody should be doing that because it distracts them from the road. There's no way you can drive with a snake wrapped around your neck without being even slightly distracted. The fact that he's willing to drive distracted with a child in the car isn't cool, either. I'd look into it with your local police department.

Rhoda D'Ettore

Wow. I cannot even imagine how frightened you must be, not to mention how immature and irresponsible he is! I would first look into finding out if that type of python is legal to own in your area. Secondly, I would be concerned that pythons are constrictors, therefore the argument the snake could be endangering your child is a viable one. Even if this is not illegal per se, it may very well raise the brows of a family court judge. I would definitely ask an attorney about what can be done as far as limiting visitation or requiring supervised visitation due to his endangerment possibilities.

1) I am so happy that the legality of a snake being around someone's neck is being brought up here. That's fantastic. I don't mean to belittle your question, but ... man. I did not expect to read that today.

2) I think the family court angle is the way to go, if you want to take some significant action. I can't imagine even the most libertarian judge being alright with someone picking up a child while wearing a snake like a necklace. It might not be illegal, but that doesn't mean it is smart.

Profit5500

I would probably assume that it might be reckless endangerment but as long as the snake is not a danger to anyone then it should be okay. I do not like snakes myself and would steer clear from them.