Is it true that terror and fear is the fuel to viral news?

wameyo

Is is true that people are sub consciously more prone to watching news that is laced with acts of terror and fear than positive news?

Rainman

Most news is bad news so I wouldn't find it surprising that the worse the news is the higher the likelihood of it going viral. If the media published more positive stories maybe we'd see the trend change.

Gabe

Not really, but it is important because it warns people about things. In the recent light of IS and children going to join then, it encourages and makes the public aware of this and hopefully to look out for suspect behavior and maybe stop a friend or family member from doing the same.

With ebola, it made people more cautious about who they come into contact with and where the virus had been spread. So news is informative as well.

Josie

It's human nature to protect ourselves; be ready for anything... we're obsessed with negative news because we'll feel more prepared for fight or flight. We don't like surprises. But then we become desensitized and in general, more negative. I stay away from the news now.. I don't need to sleep with one eye open like that.. I want to enjoy every moment, I can't stop whatever will happen from happening and I already take care of myself in ways that should prevent most preventable things.