Is it what you expected?

Lexi

Before you became a cop, you had a vision of what it will be like once you become one. Is it what you thought it was going to be?

What do you like/dislike the most about being a cop?

Katzuhiki

I also have the same question. Have you always expected the job to be like what it is now? Is being a police fun? I mean, you are a law enforcer, you keep the civilians safe and protected.

Shawn

Policework is the type of occupation where you have to enjoy that sort of activity. If you enjoy dealing with the public, doing something different every day and really being a big part of the community - then policework might be for you. But you also have to be stable and able to control your feelings and actions. If you detain a man who just beat his 2 year old child to death, you have to protect that man so that he can be processed through the criminal justice system. You have to be tough to be a cop or any first responder job for that matter.

GemmaRowlands

I think with any job of this nature, the focus is always on the "helping people" and not the other aspects of the job. You will find that yes, the job is very rewarding, but also that there is all kinds of stress that nobody bothers to talk about when they are getting the jobs, and this means that they may be a little bit surprised when they turn up for training and there are lots of things that they never considered. On the whole, though, it is a job where you are able to make a huge difference, and most people are very happy about that.

lei

I am not a cop but I have went with a cop overtime to see what their job does. Personally, no it is not what I expected, I wouldn't want to do it. They are just as brave as soldiers going to work everyday. CRazy stuff happens. You have to be very quick and accurate and honest.

Lexi

Policework is the type of occupation where you have to enjoy that sort of activity. If you enjoy dealing with the public, doing something different every day and really being a big part of the community - then policework might be for you. But you also have to be stable and able to control your feelings and actions. If you detain a man who just beat his 2 year old child to death, you have to protect that man so that he can be processed through the criminal justice system. You have to be tough to be a cop or any first responder job for that matter.

That would be very difficult to do. I definitely do not have what it takes to be able to be around someone that has done something as horrible as that and "protect them". That is one of the things that people probably do not think about too much when thinking about becoming a cop.
You really do need to be mentally tough to an extreme level in situations like those. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

bala

Lol..for that matter any job wouldn't be as you expected it to be,if that was,then it is a dream and not a job.There are harsh realities in life and you can't expect your job to be as you dream.I had to learn it the hard way when i was a trainee.

Lexi

Lol..for that matter any job wouldn't be as you expected it to be,if that was,then it is a dream and not a job.There are harsh realities in life and you can't expect your job to be as you dream.I had to learn it the hard way when i was a trainee.
There doesn't need to be "harsh realities" when it comes to your career. That is the problem with most of the world, people are taught to believe work needs to be difficult in some way. There is a reason why many look at a wealthy person and think "this person works 24/7". To the average person it may seem that way. In reality, many successful people enjoy what they do and are successful for that very reason.
My point is, you CAN expect your job to be fun and easy - if you choose something that you are passionate about.
Life is easy when excuses are pushed to the side and you go for what you want in life. No one should have to feel forced into working a job they are not passionate about.
The majority are so caught up in "today" that they don't really think about what they truly desire. So, they end up in a career that they thought they would like and now feel stuck in.
I believe in going for what you want in life. Take the needed risks. Or, live unhappily. (which I refuse to do)

Ricardo187

That example you gave is so strong that only thinking it's real, makes me think how strong minded officers have to be in order to don't do the same to that criminal. I guess it must be hard, very hard, to hold yourself from doing justice with your own hands when children are involved.