Is Police Brutality Really on the Rise?

I have been hearing and seeing a lot of things on police brutality lately. Is it just the main stream media making it a bigger issue than it really is? Are there just more bad people in the world where police need to step in? Or has it always been this way but they are making it seem worse now?

missbishi

Whilst it's true that the media tend to over-sensationalize everything, there does appear to be a lot more incidences of alleged police brutality these days. I think it partly stems from a culture of fear amongst officers. I think that the fear of getting killed themselves is causing them to be far too trigger-happy.

JoanMcWench

Police brutality has been around since the dawn of policing. It's being covered more often because we are all living breathing camcorders now. Everything is being recorded. What gets good ratings? Videos. It's always been this way. Now anyone can make a buck or two from taking video with their cellphone.

Rainman

I agree. Police brutality isn't on the rise. It's just getting more attention than it did in the past. These days anything can go viral, thanks to social media. And it's because of social media that we get to hear about police officers beating up people, shooting them, etc, etc and the media can't ignore that.

Now that the media brings the issue into sharp focus maybe police departments will give reforms a chance. Not that anything is going to change overnight but as it's said the journey of 1,000 miles . . .

Gabe

It's like corruption and murders, they have always existed, but with social media and instant news, it depends on what is happening that day and how much coverage it gets. Some editors and journalists like to spin things so one should take things with a pinch of salt. I think police are more aware of their limitations, but also the difference between a small town cop and a city cop and what they have to deal with can vary hugely.

Peninha

I feel that the media cover these stories in a more effective way, so we are aware of this reality. There is police brutality and now it's exposed, I feel it's the first necessary step to correct the situation.

Diane Lane

I'm all for exposing police (and other) brutality, but I don't believe it is on the rise. There are good and bad in every setting and occupation. We're seeing more incidents of parents hitting their children, teachers abusing students, etc., but I agree with posters above, the increase in social media and cameras has led to an increase in awareness, and the chance of getting caught. I think exposure is good, but I think we also need to remember that these are isolated incidents, and there are way more good cops than bad ones.

dyanmarie25

Whilst it's true that the media tend to over-sensationalize everything, there does appear to be a lot more incidences of alleged police brutality these days. I think it partly stems from a culture of fear amongst officers. I think that the fear of getting killed themselves is causing them to be far too trigger-happy.

Very well said. That's my opinion as well.