Is there a height requirement for cops?

True2marie

Years ago, I was in a horrible car accident. A guy rammed into the back of my vehicle after stealing a cop car. Of course, this incident made the papers and I had to go to court and testify against him.

Upon arrival, I saw one of the police officers this guy had tangled with that day. I am pretty sure she wasn't even five feet tall. Sitting down, I was face to face with her. This made my blood boil because I am pretty sure that guy couldn't have stolen the keys from a cop who'd been a little bigger.

With this said, are there any height requirements for cops?

bala

No,not necessarily,but tall cops seem to have a better impact as cops rather than short ones,it is scary to see a tall and well built cop rather then a short one.
In here they have requirements that the cop must at least be 5 ft 6 in at least.

Ricardo187

I don't think so, but smaller ones will probably have a harder time passing tests and such. I don't think the height made the difference in the key stealing though.

True2marie

No,not necessarily,but tall cops seem to have a better impact as cops rather than short ones,it is scary to see a tall and well built cop rather then a short one.
In here they have requirements that the cop must at least be 5 ft 6 in at least.

Yeah, I think tall and well built cops are more intimidating to people. Who would be scared of someone they have to look down at unless he or she was wielding a gun. And, even then, the temptation to dominate this person would be ever present.

Profit5500

I see a lot of tall and physically fit cops where I live at. I only saw a few short males but they were muscular. Its just better seeing a big cop vs a slim one that has no chance in being intimidating.

Dixons

Height shouldn't matter that much unless it's disproportional. However I do believe taller officers might get more respect when out on the street. This of-course varies by neighborhood.

lei

No, there aren't height requirements. That would be ironic since that is discrimination. And I think it's illegal (where Im at anyways) to not hire someone based on discrimination. Anyways, they do tend to pick people a bit taller.

Katzuhiki

Not necessarily. I think it's based on strength and skill wise rather than height restriction/limit. I remember seeing a cop that was around 4-5ft and she was damn strong.