Is there a law about providing speeders with a speed radar inspection certificate?

Ricardo187

Good afternoon. I'd like to know if there's a law about police officers being obligated to show the driver they're ticketing for speeding, the radar inspectiong/calibration certificate if requested to.

Thank you in advance.

BryanOnAWire

Re: Is there a law about providing speeders with a speed radar inspection certificate

They are required to calibrate and test them regularly, although the departments themselves determine the schedule. As far as requesting that information, yes you may request it (in court), and yes, they do have to show that it was calibrated properly. It's pretty rare that it's not, however.

bala

Re: Is there a law about providing speeders with a speed radar inspection certificate

Yeah,if the driver insists on seeing the radar calibration,he has every right to do so.It is unlikely because cops calibrate it regularly to ensure they don't end up on the wrong side.
However as bryan had stated,it is possible to ask for one,only in a court and not during the ticketing process.

Ricardo187

Hmm, thank you. I remember that back in time, my father was caught by a radar and responded to the ticket by asking for the certificate, because a lawyer suggested that he does so. He never got an answer and he was never asked to pay that ticket again, so I guess it worked. He did that because he passed there the next day and the sign limiting the speed was missing/thrown down on the side of the road and not visible. Before that sign, the speed limit was higher so he was just following what he thought was the speed limit.