Is there a no chasing law?

davidj96

I was wondering, is there a no chasing law for people that run from police? I was driving home from school and watched a motorcycle rider take off from a cop. Once the motorcyclist sped off, the cop turned off his lights and sirens and didn't even bother chasing him. This happened in Atlanta, Georgia by the way.

Shawn

There are some laws where officers will cease the chase due to safety reasons, especially in crowded areas like Atlanta. Its better to track the perp by air or get them later on than it is to chase through a crowded city endangering the lives of others. A lot of bikes will get away from the cruisers, too. There are bikers who constantly go out looking to get chased just to flaunt that they can get away.

bala

There are many people who do this just to show off that they can flee away from the police.Maybe the cop was sure that he couldn't catch up with him..and yeah,can you brief me more on this law..??
Didn't really seem to understand it.

Kate

I was wondering, is there a no chasing law for people that run from police? I was driving home from school and watched a motorcycle rider take off from a cop. Once the motorcyclist sped off, the cop turned off his lights and sirens and didn't even bother chasing him. This happened in Atlanta, Georgia by the way.

I think that if there's a high possibility of the person who's running hurting other drivers or pedestrians, chases are often called off. (That goes for high speed chases when they get dangerous as well.)

It always amazes me wondering why those people trying to get away don't realize that their license plate number has most likely already been recorded and it's just a matter of being picked up later rather than sooner... with an added charge of fleeing from law enforcement, I might add! People jus' don't think!

GemmaRowlands

There is a chance that it wasn't worth it, or the officer may have alerted another patrol in the area that the suspect was heading. You also have to think about how realistic it is to be able to continue with the chase, for example if there are a lot of people walking at the time you might decide that it would be too dangerous, and a better option to let them go on this occasion.

Shawn

I think that if there's a high possibility of the person who's running hurting other drivers or pedestrians, chases are often called off. (That goes for high speed chases when they get dangerous as well.)

It always amazes me wondering why those people trying to get away don't realize that their license plate number has most likely already been recorded and it's just a matter of being picked up later rather than sooner... with an added charge of fleeing from law enforcement, I might add! People jus' don't think!

The bad thing about license plates is temp tags. You can get a temp tag practically anywhere or steal one and use it. Some who get away from the police actually get away for good. But never fear, criminals are not all that intelligent - they usually get caught eventually.

Ricardo187

The points people is making is also right. I totally missed it. It's true that you can hardly chase a bike on car because it only takes one red light full of traffic that the bike can pass through on high speed without having to wait for cars to open space and you'll lose him. Bikes are also a lot faster usually, in a matter of acceleration.

PhilA

it is definitely against the law to run from the police, fleeing an officer just adds more misdemeanors onto the rap sheet.