Is there a Quota?

I have often heard of how cops have a quota on how many people they need to ticket a month? I have noticed more cops patrolling towards the end of the month. Is this because they need to make sure they get their quota? Is there any truth to this? I am very interested in hearing the truth from an actual police officer.

Rainman

I think the unofficial position is there are no quotas. But some cops who've been fired and no longer need to keep quiet claim that there are quotas. But would we believe what a fired cops says? Not likely.

But what of one who is on duty, making an arrest? The quote below is from a video filmed by teenagers who were being harassed by a cop. They asked him if cops had quotas. His response?

SHOCK VIDEO: World’s Worst Cop Admits to Quotas, Falsifying Charges, & Extorting the Poor | The Free Thought Project

“We don’t have a quota. We have expectations. And what that means is, you will make so many arrests a month, you should write so many tickets a month, and you should haul so many dumbasses to jail a month. If we’re gonna pay you $100,000 a year, we should expect something back from you, shouldn’t we?â€

Straight from the horse's mouth. Expectations. Not quotas. They sound pretty much the same to me.

JoanMcWench

I think we've discussed this question a few times before. There's no police statement saying the officers have a 'quota' on tickets because that would be a tad unfair to the citizens being policed. But there are quotas at certain departments that are enforced with rewards or punishments.

missbishi

Yeah, this, along with donuts, seems to be a frequent question here. I doubt that there are official quotas which must be met but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are certain expectations of cops and some of these will involve targets.