J walking

JoshPosh

Banned
Have you given a ticket to a person for J walking? It seems like such a petty vilation. Why would you even bother getting out of your car to write a citation? Is it really worth the trouble?

DancingLady

It has been done in my town. They have done several stings in particularly troublesome areas, one being right by the University where students were crossing near but not in the cross walk routinely and irresponsibly. I believe the sting was in response to complaints from residents who were tired of dealing with irresponsible young people crossing wherever and whenever they felt like it.

Patrick

Jaywalking is dangerous in certain areas of heavy traffic, it can lead to accidents. I believe that it is right for police officers to punish recalcitrant offenders if they are caught jaywalking in high risk areas, they probably wouldn't go out of their way to issue a ticket if you crossed a much less busy intersection.

Popcorn365

I wish they would issue citations for it in my town. We have a beautiful downtown area with crosswalks and the walk lights at ever corner and people decide to not use them. The main problem is that when the businesses get shipments in (multiple times a day) combined with street parking, the visibility on those streets aren't good so drivers rely on pedestrians to use those crosswalks and they don't and when they almost get hit and the car driver yells out the window at them, the response is always, "we can cross where ever and whenever we want because pedestrians have the right of way!" It really ticks me off. I had a guy the other day yell that at me while I was driving on the 55 mph highway right outside of town. he walked out in the middle of the highway in front of my car and I had to slam on the brakes and swerve onto the side curb, almost hitting a telephone pole with my six year and six month old in the car! I was hot and when I got out of the car to check the girls and make sure the front tire and bumper were okay he threatened to call the police because he has the right of way and I almost killed him!! Crazy!!