Jodi Arias will not get the death penalty

Rosyrain

I just read a news article on HLN that states Jodi Arias will not get the death penalty as a result of a 2nd hung jury in her penalty phase. The first penalty phase a couple years ago also ended in a hung jury. This is crazy because she killed her ex boyfriend so viciously and stuffed him in a shower. What do you all think of this?

Gabe

I don't believe in the death sentence, but she won't ever be free and will serve life without parole. Personally I don't think a jury should decide on a sentence as it's not consistent and even though it was murder, there are serial murderers that aren't on death row. I think there was too much media coverage and it was hard for anyone not to be influenced. Jurors have no experience in sentencing and the guidelines so I feel it shouldn't be a task they are given.

Rosyrain

I am sure that she did not receive a completely fair trial due to the media coverage surrounding this case. It was national news and you have to be really out of touch not to have known any information surrounding the case. The problem is that I like to read and study these cases, but it helps out the offender in a way because they get all of the media attention out of the deal. She was one of those people that loved the attention, despite the fact that she was on trial for murder. It is true, that at least she will spend the rest of her life behind bars and will not get to appreciate a life like any of us will have in the future.

JoanMcWench

I found it incredibly interesting that the media in America strung that one juror up for being against the death penalty. I'd like to hear from that juror before I jump to any conclusions about the decision. The juror may have a reason we're not privy to.

Rainman

The case got too much attention. Since it was obvious Jodi Arias had committed the savage murder they expected the death penalty for her. Not that she would be executed, just the thought of it would give the impression that justice had been served — a life for a life. It's all hypocrisy though. OJ Simpson got away with murder, no one issued any death threats when he was allowed to walk free.

Juror # 17 from the Arias sentencing receives death threats - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

"FOX 10 has learned that Phoenix Police are looking into threats made against that juror after her name, address, and personal information were posted online."

Gabe

But this attack on this sole juror who held out is the reason why you have a jury. From what I read she was an alternate and then the jury tried to get her removed. This isn't justice and you have to accept that juries are not predictable. I think the behavior of the public against the juror shows how unjust the system is, would they behave like this if a judge decided the sentence? it was never going to be a fair trial and for that reason alone the death sentence should not have been on the table.

Josie

I don't believe in the death penalty. True monsters need to suffer with what they've done.. live with it. Death is an easy out. I know it costs money to keep these people alive, but it costs far more to keep many of the people in prison that should be on the outside getting help or slapped on the wrist instead of rotting away with the lowest life forms who actually deserve to be there.

My idea of "crime" is different than many lol. The overcrowding is definitely unnecessary.. and totally fixable without letting out high risk re-offenders like they currently love to do.

missbishi

I don't agree with the death penalty at all. Punish murderers with ...murder? Even if you are all for it, Arias has described death as being "the ultimate freedom". Why grant her this?

Rosyrain

I think Jodi Arias only said death would be the ultimate freedom to manipulate people because she is like that. Had she gotten the death penalty and actually had to go to the chamber, I am sure she would fight it to the end. At least she will spend the rest of her life in prison and we can all forget about her now. At some point the news media interest will wear off and she can sit in prison utterly alone. I feel sort of bad for the juror who is going to have to live with her decision now, whether it was really justice or not.

shilpa123

I think she should be given a death penalty. I do believe that they deserve it completely. Crimes of hers cannot be ignored.

Gabe

I don't think people realize how many murders are committed and if everyone was on death row, those cells would be packed out. It's not the Victorian times where the sentence is automatic. In other countries where they use a firing squad and hanging, is that any different from an injection? Would you sit and watch that versus someone strapped to a table and being given a lethal dose? It's no different, because you are watching someone 'legally' being killed.

Patrick

In my opinion the death penalty or life imprisonment without parole are both acceptable. The latter can be considered to be as harsh a punishment by stripping her of all her freedom for the rest of her life.

JoanMcWench

It's strange how often things change when a story is covered in such volume. Do you really think if the world didn't know who Jodi Arias was that the death penalty would be such an issue? I know of cases where many people were murdered & the death penalty was not on the table.