Just or unjust?

kana_marie

Banned
I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this... Is our legal system, as a whole, more just or unjust? Do you believe it has become too often that an innocent man is convicted or a guilty man goes free? Do you still have faith that if you are innocent you have nothing to worry about? Or do you think the entire system has been corrupted by money, ( the affluence defense, dirty judges, etc).

thegrey1

I always want to be optimistic and say that the law applies to everyone equally, but I'm not so sure anymore. Sadly, I think that the laws apply more to people who are without connections and assets. When you see people in high office committing tax fraud, etc., and walking away relatively unscathed, there's not much hope for those of us down here.

missbishi

It certainly seems as though a different set of laws apply to those in positions of power. Personally, I have no faith in the justice system whatsoever and suspect there to be much corruption within.

The innocent have plenty to worry about, not least getting shot by the police!

thegrey1

I don't worry so much about getting shot by the police as I worry about the powers higher than that. Unless you have a lot of money, and/or a close connection with powerful people, I think it's a dangerous society to live in. I don't think most cops are corrupt at all, (that may depend on the region ), and despite the biased propaganda from the media, I don't know of many instances where innocents have been shot by the police.

Gabe

The justice system is complicated, it is supposed to protect the innocent, however there are always loopholes which is where injustice arises and when there is no evidence or it fails to meet the burden of proof, that is where justice fails. It is a flawed system, but varies state to state and in various countries. The system is evolving, but the courts are over burdened. Crime needs to be prevented in the first place.

dyanmarie25

I don't really know. Mostly, it's unjust. I don't really trust the justice system now wholeheartedly, but I still remain positive about it.

Josie

It's unjust. It's amazing the inequality in punishments dealt out and who is considered a threat and who isn't depending on who the person hurt.. if they actually hurt anyone at all. Very very unjust. Just because the law does it's job, doesn't mean it's not also seriously harming and wasting soooooooooooooo much money.

stevesxs9

I think the laws have too many charges such as murder 1&2, Manslaughter 1&2 ect. Anything that is not self defense or accidental, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Therefore I believe the laws are unjust because there are too many to aid the criminals with lesser charges.

JoanMcWench

I think the unjust aspects of our system get far more attention but do not necessarily reflect the actual statistics. Stories about corruption & wrongdoing get more viewers/readers/payer attentioners than a story about a murderer who was caught & went to jail.

kana_marie

Banned
I used to give the system the benefit of the doubt. The fact is cops, judges, and juries (not lawyers so much though) are human beings- prone to making errors; raised with certain biases and beliefs. But it seems anymore that judges and politicians are mostly people with money who cater to people with money. The homeless aren't even considered human beings anymore and racial profiling is becoming standard practice... even encouraged in some places. We have a whole new set of second class citizens and Jim Crow laws. I'm not religious but if I were I would encourage people to "read the bible because the end is near". Instead I encourage people to start stocking up on supplies and be ready because SOMETHING has gotta give.

Whitewolf2578

Yeah it isn't that good, there are a lot of people in prison who were just there at the scene of the crime at the wrong time, I am sure many innocent people have been locked up that never did anything. Kind of like that guy that was arrested in San Fransisco for helping a woman that was hit on her bike some hit and run. He called 911 because she was injured and then they arrested him for it. That's justice for you!

Rainman

The legal system and the laws themselves are created to protect the wealthy. Since one group of people can flagrantly violate the law and get away without punishment I don't believe that justice exists anymore.

The importance of the penal system, judicial institutions, etc can't be questioned though. The fact that some people get to be punished is a good deterrent to many who'd think that they, like the elite, could get away with the crimes they commit.

shilpa123

I believe political power is what makes our system really unjust. If all the people had equal powers then this problem would never occur.

Strykstar

I think it is very unjust, it shouldn't be but we see too many cases of people being falsely accused and even incarcerated, only to be released years afterwards...